Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Have a 2015 Revolution 13 primarily for fishing but am an avid wildlife photographer as well. Anyone have suggestions or recommendations for camera mounting ideas and options for DSLR cameras and telephoto lens. Have looked at RAM mounts and Kayala accessories as well. RAM mounts seem they offer allot of options.

Any recommendations or ideas for mounting would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, my immediate concern with a DSLR is water...so I'll assume you're kayaking in lakes or other suitable calm water. That being said...I'd use a quick-release tripod mount and keep the camera in a hatch bag (one of the little canvas bags that fits inside the hatch lid) and keep a monopod under my butt. That way one could access the camera quickly, snap it to the monopod and have a flexible, lightweight and fast system for using the cam, and a relatively safe/dry storage for it. As long as you're not using a long zoom and the body/lens will fit in the hatch anyway.

As for mounts, I use the railblaza system and mount a number of different things in different places on my boat, including a gorillapod arm with a tripod bolt epoxied in it, to mount either my gopro or my WG-4 point-n-shoot. Probably not ideal for a DSLR's weight, but you could certainly use the system (or the RAM system) to rig up a shooting platform or gear mount. The railblaza system is a bit easier to change stuff out that the RAM system, but otherwise it's personal preference.

If you are talking about the ocean...get a water housing!

Aloha
RH