Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Intensity Sails
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:44 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:10 am
Posts: 121
Location: Plum Island, MA
I ordered a main and jib. Anyone have experience with them? Seems like they've got to be better that the old cloth on the boat I've been sailing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Intensity Sails
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:26 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:35 pm
Posts: 611
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
There was a thread about them back in the spring. Do a search.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Intensity Sails
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:09 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:10 am
Posts: 121
Location: Plum Island, MA
Searched and nada. I ordered them the day I originally posted (yesterday) and have already received them. That's quick. So now I have a new set of sails for $600 total including shipping. We'll see how they work.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Intensity Sails
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:59 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:35 pm
Posts: 611
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
I just did a quick search and could not find either, but I remember reading it last year!

Let us know how they work out for you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Intensity Sails
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:43 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 225
Location: BC, Canada
hogwldfltr wrote:
I ordered them the day I originally posted (yesterday) and have already received them.


Is this even possible?

Any chance for a picture?

I also remember reading about them. I think, the review was a positive as far a dingy sails, but they are new to cats. Too bad Hobie does not offer a low cost sails for some 100000 old H16 out there.

_________________
H17
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Intensity Sails
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:24 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:10 am
Posts: 121
Location: Plum Island, MA
Well they are down in CT and I'm in MA so I suspect the sails were shipped the afternoon I ordered them and made it to me the next day. (OK I know that is how it happened.) Because I'm working my weekend night shift (6PM to 6AM) I won't have an opportunity to inspect them until Monday. afternoon when I awake from my night of the living dead act. Maybe I can get a shot of the box at least. ;) I saw the sails advertised on ebay and contacted the company about combining shipping. They said that they had there own site and I could order there as well. I did and they shipped them to me for free. (I'm sure that it was cheaper for them then having to pay the ebay fees.) I have another set of their sails already that came with the Hobie 14 I have but I thought I'd ask anyway to see who else has dealt with the company. So far I'm pleased. Now I've got to rig up the boat and get it out. If only it weren't November in northern MA. It's supposed to turn cold on Monday, darn it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Intensity Sails
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:00 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 12:44 pm
Posts: 9136
Location: Oceanside, California
jackB wrote:
Too bad Hobie does not offer a low cost sails for some 100000 old H16 out there.


One issue with One Design... we build to a certain plan and quality on Hobie 16. We would be hurting the class by building sub standard sails.

_________________
Matt Miller
Director of Parts and Accessory Sales
Hobie Cat USA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Intensity Sails
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:39 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:10 am
Posts: 121
Location: Plum Island, MA
FWIW, I'm also a Martin guitar collector. Martin makes all different levels of instruments for the different market demands. Yes a one design has meaning if racing but don't use that as a justification for having only one level of performance on the boats. Just mho. I'd think that selling vs losing a sale has value. I'm pretty certain you know what I mean.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Intensity Sails
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:46 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 12:44 pm
Posts: 9136
Location: Oceanside, California
hogwldfltr wrote:
FWIW, I'm also a Martin guitar collector. Martin makes all different levels of instruments for the different market demands.


That isn't really the same. When we build stuff for the Hobie 16... it is expected to be class legal for racing and of a certain quality. On the Wave, we don't have the same constraint, so we build several levels of sails and other parts.

For Martin... they have no (class racing) rules that guide their sales.

_________________
Matt Miller
Director of Parts and Accessory Sales
Hobie Cat USA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Intensity Sails
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:49 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:27 pm
Posts: 556
Location: Central Oregon
mmiller wrote:
On the Wave, we don't have the same constraint, so we build several levels of sails and other parts.


Really?

_________________
1980 H16
1997 Wave


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Intensity Sails
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:07 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:10 am
Posts: 121
Location: Plum Island, MA
mmiller wrote:
hogwldfltr wrote:
FWIW, I'm also a Martin guitar collector. Martin makes all different levels of instruments for the different market demands.


That isn't really the same. When we build stuff for the Hobie 16... it is expected to be class legal for racing and of a certain quality. On the Wave, we don't have the same constraint, so we build several levels of sails and other parts.

For Martin... they have no (class racing) rules that guide their sales.


Who's expectations; easy enough to mark things for the different markets. People will buy what they want whether or not Hobie supplies it. If Hobie doesn't they'll go else where. Case in point.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Intensity Sails
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:39 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:35 pm
Posts: 611
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
hogwldfltr wrote:
mmiller wrote:
hogwldfltr wrote:
FWIW, I'm also a Martin guitar collector. Martin makes all different levels of instruments for the different market demands.


That isn't really the same. When we build stuff for the Hobie 16... it is expected to be class legal for racing and of a certain quality. On the Wave, we don't have the same constraint, so we build several levels of sails and other parts.

For Martin... they have no (class racing) rules that guide their sales.


Who's expectations; easy enough to mark things for the different markets. People will buy what they want whether or not Hobie supplies it. If Hobie doesn't they'll go else where. Case in point.

I look at it as Hobie built a reputation on Quality. A friend has a Hobie 16 with sail number 1612. I am guessing this is a 71-72 model Hobie. Original Sails, yes, they are worn out now, 41-42 years later. But his boat is plenty fast and will fly a hull still! That is quality, Yes, they could build lighter weight sails, but it would only last half as long, and cost would not be half as cheap...... In the long run, your better off buying and paying for Quality. Just like the Tramps. Yes, their are AM tramps out there, some pretty good, but none will last as long.
Bottom line, they will not skimp on quality just to gain a few customers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Intensity Sails
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:02 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 12:44 pm
Posts: 9136
Location: Oceanside, California
hobiesrock wrote:
mmiller wrote:
On the Wave, we don't have the same constraint, so we build several levels of sails and other parts.


Really?


Yep. We make a resort sail that is horizontal cut rather that vertical. Saves a ton of labor and is sold primarily to the resort market. It's in the catalog too. There is nothing on the Wave that we are constrained to by rules.

_________________
Matt Miller
Director of Parts and Accessory Sales
Hobie Cat USA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Intensity Sails
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:55 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:57 am
Posts: 1604
Location: Clear Lake Iowa
Yet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Intensity Sails
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:36 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:10 am
Posts: 121
Location: Plum Island, MA
My Hobie which I've had only a couple of years has sails# 1914 from 1973; they need a mess load of repair and then would still not be any good. They should have been replaced long ago. Just because something is used for a long time doens't mean it should. At any rate it will be a while before I can try out the new sails. My wife is giving them to me for Christmas even if they aren't official Hobie sails.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group