Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jib blocks...Ncmbm
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Howdy from the landlocked, Saskatchewan tundra. In September I posted about my search for jib blocks (original ones) Ncmbm, you said you had what I needed or something close. Could you email me, I will send you a pic to compare to. Maybe we can strike a deal?

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't know if you are looking for 16 or 14 jib blocks but I have some fairly new 16 blocks laying around if you wanted them. In all actuallity you could have them if you would pay shipping.

If you are interested reply on here and I will give you my email.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry, actually should have posted in the 18 area. Anyway, the terms I have heard for these blocks are "oxen block" & "hexarachet". When you pull the line it locks, pull it again and it releases. The ones I have are Harkens, and I love them, and would like to replace with the same (if possible) If I was better at this online stuff I would post a pic......
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

David,
I have some seaways with slides attached. I'm converting to a self-tacker so my system is being removed. Is this what your looking for? I also have some Harken rachamatics but they don't have slides. Let me know what you need, if I don't have it I most likely can source it for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think this is what you are looking for:

http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e246.asp

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Rob, the 50762 is exactly what is on my boat. But Holy Crap!!! I wasn't expecting that price. The seaways that you have ncmbm, do they have an external cleat (jamcleat?). I believe I saw some seaways off a scrap boat on Ebay that had cleats. They would do the job, but if you have ever used the oxen blocks.....wow, absolutely slick. If I can't find some used oxen' I will have to go with plan B or C. Or pony up for the real deal! Any ideas on where else a guy might look for used?

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Dave,

There appears to be a set of used Oxen blocks at Sextant marine in Quebec. sextantmarine.com. You would avoid customs brokerage etc.

My crew grew frustrated with the OEM seaways on the H18 and we did not want to invest in the Oxen blocks so we went with Harken ratchet blocks without the built on cleats and then mounted cam cleats on the deck bolted in through the deck lip. He only uses the cleats in high wind going upwind so he can handle the main sheet.

moyra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sackatchwan tundra???!!! now that must be a short season :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Moyra, Tundra was a bit of an exageration. We're lucky to get in the water in May and I got my last sail in near the middle of Sept (cold one).How 'bout you? I appreciate the heads up on the oxen blocks. I will check them out right now.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, I found the oxen blocks at sextant marine, no picture but they sound right. At the risk of sounding stupid, what does self tacking mean? Is that what I have? Would I regret using a smaller sheaved block, I notice that there are smaller Ronstan blocks for a fraction of the cost. Thanks for the input, I'm totally lost on this without pictures and lots of info.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dave,

You better give sextant marine an email or call to verify that these are the ones you are looking for and to find out how much $. I don't know why Sextant is calling these self tacking. Self tacking usually refers to a system where no releasing or pulling in of the jib sheets is required by the crew when tacking as is now standard on the Hobie Tiger(which has a small jib with no overlap). Take a look at some Tiger pictures or the Tiger pdf assembly manual on the main Hobie site.

Re the Ronstan blocks, I did not realise that any other manufacture was offering blocks like the Oxen blocks I thought they were the only ones with the self holding and tug to release feature.

BTW have you looked into having your existing blocks rebuilt or is this not an option.

In Ottawa mid May is about the earlyest for us as the water is cold and snow is not unheard of. We typically sail to at least the weekend before Can Thanksgiving when our club holds a Turkey regatta.

Moyra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

the self tacking systems use smaller line so sheaves are smaller as well. There are only 2 options I'm aware of, the original seaways which have cams and on/off rachet with slide attached or Harken rachamatics with cam and a shackled on slide. I wouldn't think a block that must be pulled to release wouldn't be safe in high wind close hauled. Hobie switched to Harken in the late 80's but they are not cheap, especially the carbos. I wouldn't spend money rebuilding the seaways, if thats even possible.

Post subject: Oxen
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a set of oxen blocks on my '99 18sx, and love them. They are easy to use, quick to release, and very tough overall. My girlfriend is quite happy with them.
I've got an extra oxen block w/o sheave that I'll sell if anyone wants it.

Trey

1998 H16 102698
www.sunjammers.com ftw!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice video on the velocity site Trey!! Also enjoyed some of the others, makes me HUNGRY.......150 more sleeps AAAARRRRGGGHH! Those oxen blocks are awesome aren't they? I sailed my buddy's 16 with cleats, what an awkward change.

Dave