Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I guess you could try to increase the tension on the forstay or the shrouds to keep the wear down on the standing rigging.
When I mentioned the note about the weather, I was trying to say that the hail that happens in San Angelo will break, crack, and in some cases go completely through your hulls. I know that this is hard to believe, but in 1995 the hail was large enough to go through car hoods and mobile homes. Ask the marina people about the severe weather they get there and also ask some of the locals. I would hate to see you lose a hull because of $20 difference between inside storage and outside storage.
On the issue of sailing in San Angelo, I believe that some people might now be going to lake Ivey towards Ballinger - Paint Rock. I know that some of my friends are now going to the central Texas area to sail because there is a better concentration of sailboats and catamarans. I currently race mine with Fleet 64 out of Austin. I am hoping someday to try to set up a open multihull regatta in San Angelo, but I have to squeeze it into the current race schedule.
I will be there on the 28th with my 18 (Sail #7877). Hope to see you on the lake.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yeah, I've heard about that other lake to the east, looks pretty good on the map, I may head over there at some point. Thanks for the rest of the input, and hopefully I'll see you in a few weeks!

Warm regards,

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well here it is the 28th and the weather is crappy. I hung out at the rec camp for about 3 hours today before throwing in the towel.

18mph winds but 66° and rainy. :(

Jim

"A little crazy but with big balls."

Post subject: dockage for a Hobie 16
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a fixed (non floating) dock on a short canal leading to Tampa Bay and need a simple way to get the hulls out of the water without the expense of a boat lift. (We have a 4ft tide).
We have concrete sea walls behind the docks - so there is no way to pull the boat out of the water onto an earth bank / beach.
I have seen the 'float-on-the-water' style floating docks for PWC and wondered if anyone has experience of something similar that could be adapted / used for my Hobie ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

At the marina here they have those floating PWC docks with one "extension" on them so they're about 10 feet long each. I have on occasion pulled the Hobie up on them to work on the bows or something when I need to be close to the electric supply. Anyway, with the boat pulled up on them it was about 8" out of the water, and since they're floating obviously they'd go up and down with the tide.

That said you could probably build something similar if you're handy. :)

Dunno.

Good luck!

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There is a manual PWC lift on ebay right now. It is essentially fork lift tongues that lift with a wheel. One of these on each side of a slip would be slick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I love the idea of using ratchet straps to get the boat up out of the water, and if it is your own dock you probably wouldnt mind putting four eye bolts in the side to attach the straps to, i reckon you could probably do the whole project for about 15 bucks, and you could get the boat out of the water by Yourself, no friends needed.