Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All,
I'm looking for some advice about buying a used Hobie. I'm in the process of selling a Hunter 20 and would like to take the proceeds of the sale (about $2000) and buy a Cat. The problem is I've never sailed one and therefore I don't know what to buy. You guys just look like you're having so much fun I want to join in! I'm not what you might call an "experienced" sailor, although I learn fast and taught myself to sail my Hunter. I will probably sail solo most of the time, but my wife and almost 8 year old daughter will come along sometimes. I'm 155 lbs. my wife is about 130 lbs. and daughter, about 60 lbs I guess, so total weight a little over 300. What should I look for and what acccessories and equipment are required beginner items? Thanks,
Steve

Post subject: What boat?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:29 pm 
Site Admin

Hobie 17... FX One... both are great for single handed sailing (designed for it) and can carry the extra weight of your passengers. Most of the others are not as good for single handed sailing, but many can do it under the best conditions.

Extra required stuff? Righting bucket, mast stepper system?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I defer to Matt's superior experience in this realm, but I'll say that even a relatively new sailor like myself really has no problem single-handing my H16, although I'm reluctant to go out in heavy air solo just because I don't have the weight to right it myself if I were to go over. A righting bag would probably help here, I just haven't been able to prioritize that expense yet.

You can get used H16s at pretty good prices, so I'll go ahead and recommend you at least look at this option. I've sailed with three adults (myself included) on my boat several times now and it's kind of a dog with 425lbs but still far faster than a Sunfish or something. LOL

Good luck broly!

Warm regards,

Jim

Jim

"A little crazy but with big balls."