Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cleaning the boat
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I keep my H16 in the backyard, covered and sprayed with 303 Protectant. I try to wash it about once a month. Well, I sail it too. :D

Recently I brought the boat to the club, sailed there for 2 days and the boat spent 1.5 weeks at the club on the trailer.

I have brought it home yesterday and washed it, but I cannot clean the clay and dirt stains from the hulls and decks! After washing stains became faded, but they are still there and quite visible. I used car wash solution, soft brush, hard brush, I used Windex - stains are there. And it is not like the first time I sailed at that lake and picked all that clay. I'm really puzzled.

What should I do to clean the hulls? I never waxed or polished them... Should I start doing this? During these 1.5 weeks my boat aged like 2 years. That is not fun. I want to keep the boat at the club, but I don't want it to look like trash within a month.

I'm probably the worst sailor in the club - I have long ways to learn, but at least I try to keep my boat clean. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You might get some better results by using FSR (fiberglass stain remover). This is made by DAVIS and contains Oxalic Acid, so you need to wear exam type gloves when you use it. I've wiped it on boards and rudders of all the various size Hobies which had some pretty nasty stains...with great results. I used a kitchen type sponge to apply it, let it sit for 5 - 10 minutes, then wipe it off. You can get this from either your Hobie dealer, or West Marine. Good luck, let us know if it works for you. Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Barkeepers Friend has the same ingredient. Helped clean up some nasty stains on my H 18.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You may also try Starbrite Hull Cleaner available at Wal-Mart. I have never used it but have read it works well for cleaning hulls. It can be used diluted or full strength for dirtier applications.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you all for suggestions!

I will start using some boat oriented hull cleaner, like Strarbrite or something.

Speaking of FSR and Barkeepers Friend - since they have acid, this means with every application I'm going dig a little in the gelcoat, right? Which means these things should not be used on a monthly basis, but rather once in a while to get rid of all accumulated stains, right?

I just checked West Marine's website - the can with FSR in the picture shows West Marine brand. Is this the same as the one from DAVIS?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Barkeepers friend will do the job better, faster, and easier than anything else I use.

The reason you are having problems getting the stains off is that the hulls have probably oxidized a bit, in spite of your efforts to prevent that from happening.

Once you have cleaned the stains with the barkeepers friend, use a power buffer and a polishing compound to remove the oxidization, and follow up with a couple of coats of good wax.

My personal favorite is a Starbright Marine product that includes teflon.

Do that at the beginning and end of each season, and your boat will look new almost all the time.

Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just used the Hobie boat cleaner and protectant and it got my hulls looking like new and the protectant leaves the hulls slick and clean.
You may want to try it.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yuri, It won't chew away any gelcoat that you need to worry about. Wax on the other hand.....

I use Iron Out. That (censored) is nasty, but it does an awesome job removing the stains.

I mix a half cup, with 2-1/2 gallons of warm water. Sponge it on, and rinse it off. Then wax afterwards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Guys, thanks a lot for all information.

I will make the boat clean. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had a very bad case of what you are describing. I've believe the substance that causes the greyish brown stains is called tannin. Oxalic acid worked so amazingly well that I couldn't help but to reflect all the poor souls who have labored with abrasives, destroying weekends and hulls trying to get this stuff off. (I use Davis FSR - wipe on - hose off)

Nano-Technology Wax:
I swear by the (just released) Mclube Hull-coat. The magic in it is some sort of nano-tech binder and filler, that really seems to outperform the other waxes I've tried. And it applies so fast and effortlessly that even if it didn't outperform, I'd use it anyway just because of the time savings.

Peace,

Dan Peake
2003 H17SE