Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MMiller
I bought a tiller connector for my hobie 16 about 20 years ago when I sold that hobie i moved the tiller connector to my hobie 21 se. This tiller connector has seen some severe service and has never failed It is sort of a ball and socket and i think it was made by KISME. I really wish this was still made what a great part. I sail on my kids 14 turbo and i think this would be good on any hobie the factory system lacks a lot
I read your comments on cam cleats The sister screws should be standard I always have a cam and sister screw spares
I have never had a sister screw failure I usually replace the cams every year and use the old ones as spares I have had cams fail
Enjoy the forum
Gary Hobie Cat 21 SE USA 415 Stars and Stripes red white & blue Calvert Sails

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think I know what you mean :idea: Its like the ball and socket on the shock on the lift gate of your SUV or mini van. There is a place here in town that manufactures those struts maybe he would have something suitable??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Take a look at the H-20 tiller connectors. I bought a 1997 model a few months ago and I think the connector design is fantastic. I used to sail 16's and 18's long ago, and this beats anything I saw back in the 70's and 80's. The H-20 connector is available in the Hobie catalog, part #1953, and I believe it can be retrofitted onto other models. You'll need to order it through your local dealer. I'll give mine a plug: Mariner Sails out of Dallas has a very fast and reliable mail order business. They're very knwoledgable. Aris Tsamis particularly knows Hobies backwards and forwards. 800-536-9463.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think you're talking about the kisme tiller connector. I just sold a new old stock set for $35. Last ones around that I know of. They are kind of like a tie rod end, ya?.
The 20 connector is good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:28 am 
Site Admin

Yes, the 1953 tiller connector system is IMHO even better than the old ball and socket kisme system.

Little to zero slop in the connection, easily adjustable tiller crossbar length with no tools and accessable even on the water. The Hobie system also allows the quick detatchment of the tiller crossbar for mast stepping, storage and other uses.

We don't use the sister screws as standard equipment as they can unscrew and generally are looser and when they come loose... they wear the castings

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why aren't these used universally?

I can't get mine apart on my Wave, without taking out the screws to the tendons. I have the white tendons, but the black rubber pieces (which go into the bars) won't budge for nothin'! One piece is riveted in place, but the other has a quick-pin, like it's supposed to be removable. They both seem equally solid.

I guess I could try it today, with the temperature below freezing, to see if they're any looser.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:03 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
current production waves us a similar system. There is a kit available to upgrade the older waves to the new system.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks! I'll order a set from my local Hobie dealer.

I always cringe when I put stress on those tendons by folding my rudders together when I take them off.

Update: With the temperature in my garage around freezing, the black rubber plugs popped right out of the tiller arm tubes. Now I hope they'll go back in when it warms up, or I may HAVE to buy the upgrades!

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:20 am 
Site Admin

The Wave / Getaway kit is #1957

This is clean and comfortable in your hand when steering at the tiller connection point, but does not allow for tiller crossbar length adjustment (rudder toe-in) like the 1953.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt Miller,
I'd like to put a 1953 connector kit on my '98 Wave which currently has the old black curved tendons. I assume that I need a longer tiller bar? or does the 1953 kit come with a longer tiller bar? If not, which longer tiller bar do I need?

Thanks, Jim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:05 pm 
Site Admin

There is no tiller crossbar long enough to make up the difference for those old elbows... except what we offer in the 1954 kit (designed as a retrofit prior to the 1953 being available). I'd suggest simply bending the tiller arms inboard the needed few inches. That would work well and then install the 1953 kit.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What about this one that I just came across?:
http://www.murrays.com/50-39522001.html

It says it is 62" long. If that's the tiller bar length without the fittings. It seems like that might be the right length, or very close.
Or is that the tiller bar that comes with the 1954 kit that you mentioned?

Thanks, Jim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:12 am 
Site Admin

You could order a current tiller crossbar and then the extra pieces needed for use on the tiller arms. The current length is 67" (just tube) if that is long enough... I don't recall. You could cut to length if you need shorter.

The parts needed in the tiller arms are 2 x each... 37561200, 4059001, RS316BLK (5"), 8010261

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

still say the the Kisme is a superior product I have used them since the first year Almost 30 years of abuse and one failure and the failure was not complete the connection was just not tight. A little thinking could make the rudder adjustment be threaded for micro control. Should be standard on the Alter 22 SE. And many thanks again to Hobie Matt for some parts long ago

Former Hobie Admiral Gary

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

gary eudy wrote:
still say the the Kisme is a superior product I have used them since the first year Almost 30 years of abuse and one failure and the failure was not complete the connection was just not tight. A little thinking could make the rudder adjustment be threaded for micro control. Should be standard on the Alter 22 SE. And many thanks again to Hobie Matt for some parts long ago

Former Hobie Admiral Gary

Hi Gary, I had those tiller connectors on my old H18 (somewhat visible in the picture below) and I agree - they were/are good connectors. Mine did develop a bit of slop over the years which I remedied with rubber washers, but that is to be expected given their age. Personally, I'd take the H20-style connectors over the KISME, though simply because they're much easier to adjust and remove. The KISME's aren't the easiest things in the world to dial in perfectly.