Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

How have you loaded down your boat?

I'll go first:

On my 1978 H16, "Burt the Cat", I have the Hobie Bob mast float, the Hobie motor mount and small trolling motor, the SitnSail wing seats, and I like to fly American flag and Jolly Roger wind socks.

I also have a soft side cooler for drinks and snacks.
Oh, yeah! I recently included a fender for when we dock the boat.

Not exactly streamlined, but makes the sailing experience soooo much fun!

Anyone else?

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good topic.

On my H14:
Myself, My wife, and my beagle. It might not seem like alot, but you try keeping a beagle on a 10x10 tramp for a 3 hour sail. :roll:

Marcus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Marcus:

I know exactly what you mean!
Last summer, we sailed Higgins Lake with myself, my wife, two sons, and our "Bassador", Bailey. Bailey is a cross between a bassett hound and a black labrador (don't ask how). She looks like a long earred lab who got cut off at the knees.

AND SHE CAN'T SWIM!

Soooo....she had to wear her bumble life jacket.

We got some funny looks as we had to carry her highness out to the boat!

Does your dog try to lap up water through the center tramp lacing, too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

He used to go for the water, but got his head caught in the tramp lacing and took a swell right up his nose, so no more of that. God forbid he see a dog on another boat though. He will abandon ship and swim for it.

marcus

Post subject: Stuff on da boat
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Started this thread awhile ago and finally have a pic I can post of the goodies attached to "Burt the Cat".

As you can see, we have the SitnSail wing seats, the Hobie trolling motor set-up (battery up front, motor behind the battery)

and, of course, the soft side cooler with mini tapedeck/radio.

Lots of fun with this set-up!

Sooo, whatcha got going on with yer boat?

Fair Winds,
Nick
1978 H16 "Burt the Cat"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Couldn't see any pics. Anyway, this last Sunday, we had a BBQ and flag raising ceremony on an island. I had three life jackets, two coolers, a BBQ pit, a boombox, a 12V battery, noodles and a chick on SV Kamikaze. While everybody else was messing with anchoring their 20'+ sloops on the limestone rocks and swimming ashore, I just sailed her right onto the shore and unloaded. Sweet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How about a 23' mainhull by 16' wide (Tremolino). :lol: Put about everything I need for a weekend, with the option of staying on the water and not touching land for the weekend. Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just talked to one of my friends who lived on Pensacola Beach and he said he ferried most of his belongings across the bay on a Hobie 18 during the evacuation before the hurricane Ivan, which included a 50" tv, he said he just put a tarp down on the tramp to keep water from splashing through and went real slow. Can you imagine moving on your cat? Most normal people just use a pick-up............Ha Ha. Damn Hobie Nerds.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

For overnighting, the tent goes on the tramp, with a rain fly held up with the halyard. I have a nice cooler, and use two large float bags for the gear including, single burner stove, lanterns, flashlights, clothes, supplies and food, cooking gear, radio, GPS, safety gear, fire extinguisher, extra parts, line, and misc camping goodies. Also I take on an extra gas can for the 2.5 outboard mounted on a Cheata mount and 5-7 gallons of fresh water. But of course we need to mention the small battery for running lights, solar panel, paddle, umbrella, tarps and rain gear too. The last weigh in for a three day trip was around 400 lbs of it and still plenty of room for two to fly down the Gulf and raft up to a spoil island or beach area for the night. So far staying on the boat seems to be working great. Last weekend was a 75 mile jaunt round trip over night.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hudsondude wrote:
For overnighting, the tent goes on the tramp, with a rain fly held up with the halyard. I have a nice cooler, and use two large float bags for the gear including, single burner stove, lanterns, flashlights, clothes, supplies and food, cooking gear, radio, GPS, safety gear, fire extinguisher, extra parts, line, and misc camping goodies. Also I take on an extra gas can for the 2.5 outboard mounted on a Cheata mount and 5-7 gallons of fresh water. But of course we need to mention the small battery for running lights, solar panel, paddle, umbrella, tarps and rain gear too. The last weigh in for a three day trip was around 400 lbs of it and still plenty of room for two to fly down the Gulf and raft up to a spoil island or beach area for the night. So far staying on the boat seems to be working great. Last weekend was a 75 mile jaunt round trip over night.

WOW!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I assume you dont race correct? :shock:

Post subject: racing my getaway
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I tried a race a month ago and did not finish last, second to last. These Getaways could probably do ok in a race, sans wings, motor mount, front tramp and a 50 pound crew, but I did it for the fun of it anyway and had the winds have been better, I could have done better too, as the getaway is very stable in winds 15 - 20 MPH, as I have learned.