Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone!

I have recently moved to Malta (Europe) and because its an island and because I love all my sailing experiences so far I decided to buy a boat.

Now… I am a fit 32 year old, doing many sports. When buying sports gear I usually go for 100% performance oriented ones as I am an adrenaline junkie, but in case of a boat my needs are little different. I will be sailing together with my girlfriend (our combined weight is around 125kg/275lbs, we are 165 and 172cm tall).

While on the boat I will personally be focusing on speed most of the times, but my girlfriend wants to mix sport with ability to lay down and sunbath or read a book while I'm navigating solo at times. I want the boat to be able to carry some water and food, maybe my snorkling gear etc. And then, sometimes I would like to pick up some friends for a cruise around the island.

Can you tell me what benefits will one have over the other and vice versa in regards to what I'll be doing with it?

How much comfort do wings bring? Is it a game changer in cruising comfort or nothing big?

Is there an option to put net/trampoline in front of the T2 like Getaway has?

Is cruising with 4 people on board mostly comfortable on T2 or is the lack of proper seats becoming painful after few hours?
What would happen if on crazy occasion I would put 6 people on T2 - would it be able to move at all? I am not planning it but I expect if may happen one day :)

Sadly I didn't find any of the two to rent/try in here, so relying on opinions of other people is my only option :) Please help!

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Based on the sail area and weight, they look closely matched with advantage to the Getaway. Getaway specs show much higher capacity (maybe that is the advantage - less weight, faster sailing. There are many posts with people stating they like the wings on various boats.

If you want performance, get a Hobie 16. But don't put too many people on a H16.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie Europe has more of a selection of boats than what we are limited to here in the states. So you might want to add the Pearl to your list of possible options. It is a fiberglass catamaran, basically a scaled back F18. It would certainly be higher performance than either of the rotomolded boats you're looking at, but not a full-on race boat. From what I've seen, they look like a great all around beach cat.

sm

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't know your budget, but given your "wants", you could spend $100K and get a used Corsair 31. That'd give you everything you want. Performance-20+ kts boatspeed; Passengers-carries 6 or more easily along with lots of space for snorkel gear, lunch/dinner and plenty of "lay about" space on the trampolines. Of course, if you are limited in budget...

BMW C600
Formerly Getaway with Custom Spinnakers
Formerly raced F24 Mk II

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

yelkenli wrote:
Getaway specs show much higher capacity

From what I understand the Getaway spec capacity is based off US standards and the T2 spec capacity is based off the Euro/France standard. That's why there's the big discrepancy. I believe the Getaway has a slightly higher true capacity, but not nearly as much as the spec makes it seem based on the different safety standards in the US vs France.

FYI, I'm an adventurous 35 year old and did all the research and settled on a T2 for my needs last year and love it. I'm sure the Getaway is a blast but will try and answer your questions:

Get yourself a tramp bag and either boat will allow you and your girlfriend to do the things you've mentioned.

The advantage I see on the T2 is trapping out. The T2 comes standard with a double trap and is intended to do so. More speed, and trapping out is tons of fun. My wife was skeptical at first, but loves it as do my friends. I don't think Getaway will let you do that from what I've read (just a single trap). Get your girlfriend on the trap and she'll love it. It's also slightly lighter and easy to move around. Without wings I'm assuming, but not positive the T2 is easier to right after a capsize. I can do it myself with a righting bag at 5'6", 150lbs. The advantage on the Getaway is going to be wing seats, cooler and the front tramp if you have kids.

Can't tell you about the wings as I went T2.

There's no option to put a front tramp on the T2.

I've never tried 4 people for a long cruise, but 3 sitting next to each other on the same hull is fine, and I'm sure someone could lounge comfortably on the tramp as well. With 6 adults, it would still float, and move, and might be fun for just being an idiot for 30 min, but i'm sure it wouldn't perform.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Getaway will be slower than a T2 with 2 people, I expect. It will carry 6 adults and still perform respectably; I expect the T2 would be dragging its crossbars in the water with 6 people.
My Getaway is definitely slower than the Hobie 17s I used to own (which would be the perfect boat for just you and your girl, if you can find a used one; preferably the Sport Cat with jib and no boom, but great, comfortable wings), but the 17 is a pig with more than 2 people on board-it's pretty much underwater.
If you want maximum performance and want to carry 4 or more people, I would suggest looking for used (or new if your budget allows) fiberglass boats; the Hobie 18SX or Tiger or Wildcat, or Hobie 20, or one of the bigger NACRAs. I love my Getaway, but the plastic boats are slower than the glass boats.

To answer a couple of your specific questions, the Getaway wings are nice, but not necessary. They get you above the spray, and let you comfortably hike out instead of trapping out. They make pretty nice backrests for sitting on the tramp. I actually like the hammock style wings on the old 17 and 18SX and Magnum much better than the Getaway wings, but it's not practical to try to change them. I know, I tried.

I don't think you can put a forward tramp on the T2 without some pretty grave danger of pitchpoling. The Getaway has massive hulls, especially forward, giving huge buoyancy. The faster and finer hulls of the T2 would probably pull under a wave with a forward tramp.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hyperscientist-Hobie 16, Pearl, Getaway, T2.... So many choices. The important thing to keep in mind is that there is no such thing as the Perfect Sailboat. You'll have to decide what are the most important things for you to consider & then make some compromises. Speed, comfort, sailing solo, carrying loads when with a crew & more gear..... Also, how much wind do you usually get? Can you reef the main or furl the jib if the wind picks up. Do you have a Hobie dealer or a knowledgable group of friends close by? A plastic boat can take more punishment, but a fiberglass boat is lighter, faster, & easy to repair with fiberglass. Make a list of what you're looking for in a sailboat & then give each item a weight - for instance, speed & excitement is much more important that carrying 4-6 people. Comfort, trapping out?????? Tough choices.... Tough compromises... Good luck & please let us know which boat you decided on getting & why you made that choice!