Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was out sailing (29th trip of the season) on the Columbia River last Friday in moderate winds, heard a loud 'POP' and felt the boat shutter. I noticed the wind vane attached to my roller furler was askew. THEN, I noticed that the roller furler stainless steel housing had snapped and the furler (hense mast) was being held by just about nothing. Seconds later that, just about nothing became nothing and the mast fell (de-masted). Fortunately, except for a cracked bottom batten, there was no other damage, unless you count my pride for needing a tow from a motor boat. Looking at the failed part, I did notice some discoloration along the top edge of the break indicating there was an existing crack. This probabily happened a couple of years ago when my boat was flipped while bare masted on shore by a wind storm. I replaced the broken mast, cracked front crossbeam and bridal wires, but not the roller furler.
QUESTION: Has anyone had a problem with this kind of failure. The ~ 1" x 1/8" SS roller furler housing would seem to be bombproof, but apparently is not. Today I ordered overnight deliver of a new furler from Murrays and plan to be back on the water this Thursday. Though a bit poorer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:46 pm 
Site Admin

FYI... The internal parts are available as separate items.

Since this furler has been used on models up to the 21 and has not been known to have ANY issues... I suspect age and or the past shock of the storm damage.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's pretty crazy. Pics?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have re-built my roller furler two times the kit is probably available from Surf City or your local dealer. This is a two beer project on the kitchen table those ball bearings go everywhere. A re-build could have maybe saved the day.

Always check the Hobie Stuff.
Gary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:39 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

gary eudy wrote:
This is a two beer project on the kitchen table those ball bearings go everywhere.

A trick I learned was whenever working with ball bearings was to do it in a shoebox. I just rebuilt my 14T furler and it saved the day. Even with the shoebox, those little bearings are hard to track down. Especially when they're old, dirty and the color of cardboard.

Maybe I just need better glasses. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I rebuild them on a towel. The terrycloth catches the bearings, and you can find them.

The only other furler failure that I've seen was due to it being installed upside down. The circlip couldn't take the force of the rig and the whole mess came down.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had already rebuilt the furler once with the rebuild kit (I rebuilt mine over a bowl) and the spin action was fine. I ordered a whole new furler (get it today), so I gave the undamaged core (everything minus the plastic cover and the stainless steel outer housing that failed) to a friend that is converting a 14 into a turbo 14. Does anyone know where I can get the part numbers for those two items so I can pass it along to my friend? :?: Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:28 am 
Site Admin

Shown in the catalog parts guides... H18 section (original use of this furler).

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Matt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Fastcat - glad you and the boat are ok. That is a nightmare on or off the water. :shock:

Matt - you mention age as a potential contributing factor. I am in the process of purchasing a 18 year old 17 Sport. Is there a recommendation / inspection on (re-building / replacing) the furler?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sierramike, I can tell you the failure of my unit was the yoke, in the crease where the flat surface starts the bend around the roller. There may have been some hair line stress cracks, but I didn't look for them prior to the failure. The good news is that the yoke only costs ~ $20.00 to replace. So my friend with the H14 is in luck.

UPDATE: I got and installed the replacement furler and repaired the batten yesterday, so I will be back on the water tomorrow. It is predicted to blow 15+ knots. :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All standing rigging should be replaced each season. Cheap insurance! Standing hardware should be replaced every five years. This includes anchor pins and such. You will never see the failure before it happens.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

During the Prosail series it happened two times to two different 21's at different locations. Both were the upper furler bearing which looks like the same one used on 18's. I'm sure they had more stress than your boat, but I replaced my upper furler with some Harken model. Not only did I get peace of mind, but the difference in furling ease is dramatic. I've never seen an issue with the lower furler.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Tom, that is good info. I am going to replace mine with the Harken #435 and be done with it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I want to see some pics.
1) The broken furler.
2) The Harken 435 on an 18/20/21.

Thanks,
J