Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bow Tang
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am instaling new bow tangs and Bridles on my H-16. I am wondering what the correct torch is? How much free play for the for the bow tang on the bow?

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:09 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

No free play.

Torque it as tight as you can get it by hand, but not so tight that you start to crack the gelcoat.

Post subject: A couple other ideas
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Todd-
Do exactly what Matt B said. We used to tighten by hand and then a little extra to get the holes in the tangs parallel (parralel? paralel? parrallell? :roll: ). Use Loc-Tite on the threads of the tang. I have seen people put a rubber gasket or washer under the flange at the base of the tang to take pressure off the metal to Gel-coat contact too. I never did but I don't see where it can hurt.

Have a great day in Sunny CA 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello, my name is Delane. I'm new to the forum and have a good tip for the bow tangs. Years ago I purchased a boat with the tang holes worn a little due to loose play. Soooo, I over drilled the holes and sleeved the holes with brass bushings that fit tight. Then I cut large steel washer that fit to the curvature of the underside of the hull and allowed me to tighten the nut and bolt to the point of taking all of the play out and spreading more of the pressure over a larger area. I saw the boat a few days ago and notice that it's held fine for over 8 years. Another reason I did this was years earlier a friend was stranded at sea for over 20 some hours when his mast came down due to a failed bow tang. I just didn't like the set up and had to go extreme mostly to make me feel better and because I sailed to islands here in Okinawa over 25 miles away sometimes. Years ago a few hobbie buddies and I sailed around Okinawa Japan in 3 days and published the story in Hobie Hot Line. I think in 88.