Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:36 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 7:23 pm
Posts: 2
I just took my new Hobie 16 out for the first time, and it was awesome!!! I learned to sail via windsurfing, and most aspects apply. However, I'm having a problem with the rudders constantly pulling towards the upwind line. In order to maintain direction, I'm required to constantly maintain extreme pressure against the rudder to avoid turnin into the wind, and it's a huge problem. My windsurfing background would suggest that I have the mast tilted too far towards the stern, forcing the boat to want to turn into the wind. This is an early 80's boat. The only change I've made from standard setup is the jib stay line is about 3 inches above the bow lines to add a 10 hole stay to the jib stay (in other words, the jib stay is attached to the bottom hole of the 10 hole stay). All I can say, is its literally taking me a good 50-80 lbs of pressure to simply make the boat and rudders maintain straight sailing.

Thanks a million for any insight!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:17 am 
Offline
Hobie Tech / Moderator

Joined: Wed May 28, 2003 1:12 pm
Posts: 990
I would guess that it is related to the rudders (maybe not being locked down)
Check our Support link at the top of this page and review the rudder cam locking instructions. Rudder rake will have a big impact on helm, not only your rig rake.

_________________
Jacques Bernier
http://www.hobiecat.com/
http://www.facebook.com/HobieCatCompany


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:20 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 10:25 am
Posts: 2519
Location: Jersey Shore
Do you know how to properly latch down the rudders? 50 to 80 LBS of weather helm is almost certainly the result of not having the rudders down all the way. When the rudders are properly locked down, you will hear them "click" into place and the tiller arm will be held down securely. If you look at the top of the lower casting, you will see a plastic "cam" that rotates and hooks the upper casting to hold it down.

If you are unsure about how to properly lock down the rudders, I suggest practicing on dry land with the boat on the trailer.

If the rudders are fully locked down and you're still having issues with helm (pull on the tiller), then it is likely an issue of rudder rake, mast rake, or sail trim (main sheeted in too hard relative to the jib).

sm


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:03 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:35 am
Posts: 151
Or maybe your rudders are backwards. Try swapping sides L > R, R > L
If your rudder assembly was off when ya bought the boat it's an easy goof. The first time I took my H16 out it steered very funny and pulled hard, once I swapped 'em around it was very easy and non straining to sail.
Tim

_________________
Tim Grover

Memphis, TN

1978 H16 (sold)
1986 H16 (sold)
1980 H16 (sold)
1996 H20 Miracle (just right)
Bought another H16. Solid!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:52 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 7:23 pm
Posts: 2
I really appreciate the responses! I've been reviewing the forums after this post, and that seemed to be a common trigger. The rudders were constantly jumping up, and the locking system was not working. I used a bunch of wd40 to try and free up the locks a bit, an I'm going to try another dry run tomorrow. If the problem persists, I'll pull off the system and investigate further.

To add another couple issues, I broke a piece of the sail track off where the sail enters the extension. Now... The sail exits the track when it hits the gap, and I have to take the mast down to feed it through. I'm assuming I can buy another track, any thoughts? Finally, my tack plate has fallen off completely. I tried to use a grommet to hold it, but that ripped off this weekend and now it's holding by the rope thy runs the edge of the sail. I'm going to try and locate a sail shop here in town, but will it hold on that rope if I ride a couple times this weekend? I'm in ft. Myers, fl with 10-15 winds, so it's not particularly brutal wind. Thoughts?

Again, I'm blown away by the help you've all offered, and you can count on me offering my insight going forward (once I'm a more seasoned sailor) ;-)

BW


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:40 pm 
Online
Hobie Approved Guru

Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:11 pm
Posts: 4580
Location: Detroit, MI
Fxloop wrote:
Or maybe your rudders are backwards. Try swapping sides L > R, R > L
If your rudder assembly was off when ya bought the boat it's an easy goof. The first time I took my H16 out it steered very funny and pulled hard, once I swapped 'em around it was very easy and non straining to sail.
Tim

The tiller arms should angle towards the center of the boat when the rudders are pointed straight ahead.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:23 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:15 pm
Posts: 1086
Location: Oakland, CA
MBounds wrote:
Fxloop wrote:
Or maybe your rudders are backwards. Try swapping sides L > R, R > L
If your rudder assembly was off when ya bought the boat it's an easy goof. The first time I took my H16 out it steered very funny and pulled hard, once I swapped 'em around it was very easy and non straining to sail.
Tim

The tiller arms should angle towards the center of the boat when the rudders are pointed straight ahead.

And to help you remember which side they go on, roll some red and green electrical tape on the tillers.
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:37 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:15 pm
Posts: 1086
Location: Oakland, CA
bprice wrote:
To add another couple issues, I broke a piece of the sail track off where the sail enters the extension. Now... The sail exits the track when it hits the gap, and I have to take the mast down to feed it through. I'm assuming I can buy another track, any thoughts?
Should be fixable. Call a Hobie dealer for the part.

bprice wrote:
Finally, my tack plate has fallen off completely. I tried to use a grommet to hold it, but that ripped off this weekend and now it's holding by the rope thy runs the edge of the sail. I'm going to try and locate a sail shop here in town, but will it hold on that rope if I ride a couple times this weekend?

Fix the sail first. It won't get better by itself or through use. Maybe time for a new sail?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:53 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:58 pm
Posts: 125
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
Knighton Sails has a loft in Punta Gorda. 941-347-8325

The Loft in Fort Myers also advertises doing sail repair. 239-466-6857


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group