Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Speed records
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I recorded 15.8 on a stock Wave this past summer and I was backing off a little early. I was blowing the sheet when there was about 1/2 inch of bow above the water. Wind was quite variable as it is a lake in VT. However at 1800 feet above sea level we do get good breeze a lot. Top winds were probably 22-25 in very quick gusts. On the same lake I have done over 25 on my sailboard. Great part is there is a 5 mph speed limit for power boaters! I have a Garmin GPS that is meant for a car but I put it in a water tight bag. There is a function for saving the highest speed so I don't have to actually see it while sailing. I usually look at it when I get to the far side of the lake.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

vtwave wrote:
I recorded 15.8 on a stock Wave this past summer and I was backing off a little early. I was blowing the sheet when there was about 1/2 inch of bow above the water. Wind was quite variable as it is a lake in VT. However at 1800 feet above sea level we do get good breeze a lot. Top winds were probably 22-25 in very quick gusts. On the same lake I have done over 25 on my sailboard. Great part is there is a 5 mph speed limit for power boaters! I have a Garmin GPS that is meant for a car but I put it in a water tight bag. There is a function for saving the highest speed so I don't have to actually see it while sailing. I usually look at it when I get to the far side of the lake.

I recorded 16.4 mph on my stock Wave.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvqwipo0qUE&list=UUL9iEvaX5-kZq5XN_yah5Vw&index=1&feature=plcp[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great video! This is really fast for Wave.

I know some guys regularly do over 20 knots on H16 in Western Australia. They allow them to race moths and kites in the same regatta.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Boatbit wrote:
Great video! This is really fast for Wave.

I know some guys regularly do over 20 knots on H16 in Western Australia. They allow them to race moths and kites in the same regatta.

I hope to break my 16.4 mph Wave speed sometime soon.