Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Morning Folks:

Trying to get my two Hobies (16 & Eighteen) ready for the water. Was thinking about ways to look for leaks in my two masts....without putting the masts and myself into Lake Michigan's 40 degree water.

Has anybody every tried drilling their mast, tapping the hole, and putting a Schrader (bike tire) fitting into it to test for water leaks? This is basically a low air pressure soapy water way to find leaks.

Assuming that no one has tried this experiment....any thoughts about where would be a good place to put the hole in the mast? After annual testing, I was planning to just put in a screw in bolt (silicone lubed) to seal the masts until next year.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

my most common theme on this site is coming up with stuff that works, or sometimes doesnt... a Schrader valve in the mast and then a pressure/soap test sounds like it would work.. cool 8)

I don't think that it would matter too much where you drilled the port because people are always attaching accessories to masts anywhere they work best- top, front, sides etc.

On the other hand, a pair of hip boots and neoprene fishing gloves would take the sting out of a Lake Michigan water test if you don't have access to a little bit warmer pool or pond.

Good luck!