Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 16 vs Getaway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All,
I'm looking for thought on the benefits of buying a 1970's vintage 16 for next summer vs waiting another year or two to buy a Getaway. I am a complete novice, but had someone give me a ride on a 18 with wing seats and got hooked.

My biggest concern is my size. 6'4'', 230lbs and I will probably be riding with kids most of the time, unless I can talk my landlocked buddies into the boat (they are also my size).

The cost difference between the boats is $800 vs 6k.
The H16 has a max load of 800 lbs if I read the chart correctly. Does this load include the weight of the boat (which I believe is around 300lbs)?
Do you think the 16 is a good boat to start on? (I will take lessons) :D

Thanks for your thoughts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Don't wait 2 years! The H16 is great, though I think the H18 with wings would be a better fit. I have yet to sail a Getaway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am 6'2" and 250lbs. I learned to sail on an H16. I did not take lessons, instead just read a book. It took me a while to learn all the little tricks so I would reccommend finding someone who knows catamarans to give you some pointers. My crew was also my size and at time we had a third person on board who was 5'10" and 180 lbs. Granted we didn't go really fast with the three of us on board, but it still worked.

With just me and my crew in a good wind (about 18-20 kts) with the crew on the wire we could still fly a hull.

The H16 is a great boat to learn on. It is very simple, very sturdy, and almost every cat sailor has sailed one. There is lots of free advice and low cost parts out there.

You will probably be able to sell that H16 in a few years for the same price you bought it at.

The main difference betweenthe Getaway and the H16 is the typr of sailing you want to do. The H16 is a performance boat. It goes fast and can be very challenging to race. The Getaway is a "crusing" boat. You can still go faster thatn the monos but not as fast as the H16. You can still fly a hull and even have one person trap out. The getaway is a more comfortable boat that is designed to take a group of people out. The Getaway's hulls handle beach rash better than the classic fiberglass, but if damage does occur are harder to fix.

My advice is to get the H16 now, learn to sail it. In two years look again at the Getaway. If the H16 doesn't fit your sailing needs, sell it for about $1000 then move to the Getaway or another boat that fits your needs. I would not start on an H18 unless you find a really good deal on it. It is a more technical boat than the H16 and not as sturdy.

Bottom line, get on the water ASAP.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I will track down my 16 source this weekend. :D