Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh woh is me! :? I have 10 grand burning a hole in my pocket and I just can’t make a decision (I know I know I sound like your wife). I have sailed Hobie 16’s since the early 70’s but my 87 model is really starting to show her age, I keep flip flopping back and fourth between a new 16 or a new getaway. I sail mostly by myself in a small inland lake and have always like the power and excitement of my 16. On the other hand I have never sailed a getaway so I would be buying the boat on a recommendation only. I like the higher capacity and the loose footed main and the roller furling jib of the getaway but I have also read quite a few negative comments about the getaway. I am just about to turn 59 and the getaway I think in not such a handful single handed as well. Sigh any input would help. Maybe we should take an online vote. :lol: -- Roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roy:

The only time I was on the Getaway we were sailing the prototype. I was really prepared to be underwelmed, but it was a lot of fun. I think that it is pretty close in speed to the 16 and you are right about the loading of the boat. We had three male adults on the boat and it sailed well. As an experiment, it was the prototype, we stood two on the bow one on each hull and it still went through the water okay. I guess that I am saying if you are not a "one design racer" I think that the Getaway is a fine choice of boat. I think that it may weight a slight bit more than the 16 but it is almost indestructable. Great party boat!

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Buy one of those AWESOME 16 NA boats with the Ventura Logo. Nice discount too.......
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Buy a 16!!

I bought a brand new one in May of this year (To replace a 1975 16), the new boats are SWEEEET!

You can't go wrong with the good ol 16.

Brent Hendricks
(H-16 13566)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm 55 and really like the winged Hobies. Comfort level is far superior for our aching bones. You can still trap out if you like.