Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: G-cat ?????
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can anyone tell me anything about a G-cat? How reliable are they, and how do they compare to a Hobie.
I have the chance to purchase one inexpensively, but don't know much about sailing. I'm a windsurfer, wanting to be able to sail with a non-windsurfing wife.
- Paul B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

From one windsurfer to another: check out the New Open Forum at catsailor.com, type in G-cat in the forum search window, and you'll get page after page of info, perhaps more than you want, but most of it very useful. I know nothing myself about the G-cat, just trying to be helpful. I have the same problem as you with my family: the beaches I like are too windy for them, and I get bored at the places they go to, so I got into cats. It worked almost too well - I have to get a bigger cat, because they all want to go at the same time (I have three teenagers, 13 to 17). Get a good boat, and you'll never be sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When you are looking for a boat make sure you can solo it fairly easily as well as take some people. There will be times the you want to go and your usual "crew" will not want to.

Catsailor.com has a great beachcat forum that will cover all cats, not just Hobies.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: G-Cat Experience
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have had only one experience with the G-cat. It was a while ago while sailing in some type of mixed boat regatta. By that I mean there were lasers sailing on one part of the course, and multihulls sailing on another.
During the day a storm came rolling down the valley and things got real exciting to say the least.
There were three G-Cats racing that weekend. And the reason I remember them is that all three de-masted in the strong wind. A Hobie 18 also had a run in with a Nacra. I remember this one because the Nacra left the meeting with a huge gaping hole in the side.
I was new to Hobie racing at the time, and I was glad to have a nice Hobie 16 under me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

the g cat was the best sail boat i've owned. others were h14, h18, 18sqm nacra, and holder 20. the hulls were big so the boat stayed dryer. the front tramp was really nice in the light air. boat would not pitch pole. it would stuff all the way up tp the mast and then shoot back out backwards! i'd buy another in a heart beat! i sold mine for 350 because the city was foxing to fine me caus of illegal storage. the girl never paid for it and left town with it!