Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Righting System?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a used Hobie 18 and I think a righting system. There is a 3/4" rope about 37feet long with 3 pullies on it. Is this the rope for the righting system? I can't see anywhere under the tramp to attach the pullies. There is an additional pully hanging down from the rear of the back cross bar. Does anybody have any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It sounds like you have most or all of a "Hawaiian" righting system. Check out the righting section of the Hobie catalog on this site or the Murrays catalog online (http://www.murrays.com/archive/45-46.pdf) to get an idea of what other parts you might need. I had a similar system on my H18. As I remember, I tied one end of the righting line to the lacing strip at the hull, brought the line around the back of the transom, ran up the side of the boat and over the hull at the front crossbar, back under the hull through the gap in the tramp behind the front crossbar, through a block shackled to the dolphin striker, through a block tied to a length of bungee (tie bungee to dolphin striker post, run straight back through block tied at traveler eye), back up to to a block shackled on the other side of the dolphin striker, through the gap in the tramp behind the front crossbar, out over the hull, down the other side of the boat, around the other transom, and back up to the lacing strip. Some people get really fancy and install eyestraps on the transom to tie the righting line to and eliminate the extra length of line around the back of the boat. Another method is to drill a hole in the lip of the top deck at the transom (one for each side of the boat) and tie a short length of 3/16" line through it to secure the righting line onto. Either of these options is better than the way I did it, but my setup was a permanent "temporary" fix because I hated drilling holes in the boat. Looking back this description sounds really complicated . . . The setup takes a little trial and error to get the line lengths and bungee tension right, but the system is ultimately really easy to use. You probably have all the right lengths already and just need the right length of bungee.

The basic idea is that the bungee keeps tension on the righting line system so it stays up against the tramp and dosen't drag in the water. When you capsize, the righting line is right there waiting for you to reach up and grab it and the bungee lets the righting line extend out to where you are standing on the daggerboard. The righting line between the two blocks on the dolphin striker is in a "V" before use, and straight between the blocks during use. After you right the boat, the righting line snaps back into a V automatically due to the bungee tension.

Jason Moore
H20 ADDICTION

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Jason. Yes I have the system you described. I was able to track down the previous owner and he did the same thing you described with one exception. He tied a knot in the each end of the righting system. He then ran the righting rope behind the pins which hold the rudders in place. The rope then ran up the side of the hulls to the front cross bar and finished as you described.