Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: trapeze??
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just dug out the trapeze system for my 87 Hobie 17, and to be honest I really don't understand any of it. All that was in the cat box were two broken J & H handles, two black trap wires with broken molded handles, a small "diaper" style harness and some weird brass hook that looks like it might serve a purpose. I want to get this thing hooked up and start trapezing off of the wings, but I don't get most of it. ALSO, my trapeze wires look like they are new they are in such good condition, minus the broken handles. I looked in the Hobie parts catalog, and they sell replacement molded ones, but they would NEVER fit on over the thimbles and those small metal things that are clamped on the wire, I forgot what they were called. Then, Hobie sells screw on metal ones for like 18 or 19 dollars a frickin piece, which I would rather go handle-less then pay 40 dollars for those handles, but why would Hobie sell the molded replacement ones if they don't fit on the wires?????
Please help

Thanks, Tyler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tyler, I'll address the handle thing and you do need them to support yourself going out and coming in off the wire.

They sell the molded T handle for those of us who have invested in a Nicropress tool which will compress the oval sleeve, attaching the end of the wire back to itself after it's looped around the thimble. Without this tool you can't put a stock
handle on. [there is a combo compresion tool/wire cutter available] Cutting it off, to install a new handle is shortening your wire just a little bit.
If you do not want to buy one, you might try looking for a business that sells wire rope, or "aircraft cable" or Rigging materials they may do it for you.

If you have the tool you can repair/replace your forestay and sidestays in the future. The other tool you'll want is a good rivet gun.

On my "to do" list is a DIY version of the two piece handle but it may be a winter project, which sorry won't help you now.

The J&H handles probably broke after the T handles broke, because they were using them to support there weight while getting in and out. If your concerned about dollars dog bones work fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, now I understand how that works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One other advantage to doing the install of the stock handle yourself is spending the little money you saved on the adjustment part of the system.

My little go-dammit unimaran has the cool adjusters called "trapeze clamcleats". After you slide your new t handle & new oval sleeve up the wire you put the thimble through the hole in the end of the trapeze clamcleat, run your wire through this hole also and around the thimble, cinch it up & "mash" your sleeve with your new toy, er tool, this firmly secures your clamcleat to the end of the trapeze wire. Take a length of your favorite color 1/4" yacht line (double the spec'd length) and tie it to the hole in the bottom end (opposite the thimble) of the cleat using a bowline knot. Thread the end through a dogbone or J&H or whatever then back up to the cleat and thru the only hole left which has a pulley wheel (block) in it. Tie a simple knot in the end of the line, big enough to keep the line from pulling back thru that hole. Install line so the knot is on the side with all the little V cleats. With your trapeze harness on (open part of hook on the front facing down) put the only "free" end of your dogbone or J&H over that hook on your harness. Grab the knotted end of the line (we'll now call it the trapeze adjustment line) and pull straight down. All this should tighten up and you'll feel it supporting your weight, go ahead and pull the line straight into the V's of the cleat and release, it's a one-way cleat. Pull down again to release and raise or lower yourself till comfortable and cleat again. A friend or wife can use it & adjust easily to their liking and you have no work to get it back to your setting. These "trapeze clamcleats" are about $20 each. Some folks will add a block at the "dogbone" end for the line to go through but I like mine without, it's just real clean and simple to use.

I hope none of this sounds as though you don't know anything, just trying to help, because we've all been where you are now at.
Quote:
and to be honest I really don't understand any of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So where does one buy one of those nicropress tools??? Whats the going rate?