Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Side Rail Non-Skid
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was watching TV last night when a commercial came on for Rhino Lining (you know, that stuff they spray onto the beds of pick-up trucks for protection). It's supposed to be near bullet proof and everlasting and, since it's sprayed on, you could PROBABLY :wink: remove a Hobie's side rails, mask them appropriately and take them to a shop to be coated in whatever size or pattern you wanted.

I was thinking about how this material (I have no idea what's in it) would shred the bottoms on wetsuits, etc., but for the hard-core among us, it might be an alternative to the glued on carpet or foam rubber or the painted on marine grade non-skid. Anybody got any experience with this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In my expereince, most of the spray on bed liners get really slippery when wet. You can probably add something to the mix.

Has anyone looked at the expoy based nonskid deck paint? You can apply that yourself.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have experience with the painted on marine grade stuff used on hp dingy's and it tears the hell out of whatever you're wearing, trapeze harness, wetsuit, etc., it's about like 60 grit sandpaper and necessary in a dingy cockpit and gunwhales for good footing.

The cool thing about a catamaran is I can go barefoot if I want to and get plenty of grip on a piece of comfy carpet, put down sandpaper and you have to start protecting your self. From personal experience, scraping your toe knuckles till they bleed is not my idea of fun.