Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just re-read your original post. You say you've sailed with a friend on a Prindle 19 & another friend on a Hobie 16. You say you're not a speed freak, but I think that's what got you hooked on sailing- speed, trapping out...... Anything else is just puttering around on the water - just sailing - not very exciting unless the wind is blowing 20 knots or more. You obviously have no trouble meeting people & making friends, so your boat should be able to accommodate 2 or more people. A Bravo is something I would consider getting for my oldest grandchild in a few years - a boat for a kid - not an adult. I think you would outgrow a Bravo in a very short time. I've sped by Bravos & Waves on my H 16 with 2 adults & we're not racing. The plastic boats are heavier & slower.
Check the Portsmouth Yardstick for these boats before purchasing one.
H 16 76.1, H Wave 92.3, Getaway 82.5, Prindle 19 66.4, H Bravo 100.0, Laser 91.1
I hope you're able to demo several boats before you buy one.
Good luck!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a friend with a bravo and have sailed it once or twice when i wasnt ambitious enough to pull down my mono and rig it, the bravo is definately easy to rig and light enough that one person can drag it anywhere they want to. The boat sails more like a sunfish than anything else i have sailed, its not a rocket but once you get out there in some wind it is a fun little boat. I have literally sailed circles around the bravo in about 15 kt wind with my mono and I dont think rigging a 16 would be as much of an ordeal as you would think after you have done it a few times it will become second nature, if you are going to get a hobie you might as well get a real boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had one for a while and sailed it a few times before my nephews needed someting to sail that was better than a sabot.

I sailed it with my girlfriend in the bay in Long Beach Ca. It was not terribly windy and we had a nice time on it. We thought about keeping it but we sail a Tiger as well that is set up and ready to go at anytime. For that reason we decided to let it go.

For an evening sail with a couple Tinnys (cans of beer) it is a fun boat. I understand it can be a hoot with some wind as well but I was not able to sail in those conditions. Greg Thomas' crew Jacques meantioned that he was able to surf the boat when he sailed it down in Cancun.

It is really easy to set up.

It is nothing like the thrill you will get with the bigger cats. On the other hand if you have a limited sailing venue it could be just the thing.

Later,
Dan