Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:?: At age 51, and after a 24 year absence from Hobie Cat sailing, I have decided to jump back in. Imagine my shock to learn there is no Hobie dealer in all of North Carolina!! I live on the Pamlico River near Bath, North Carolina and there used to be Hobie dealers in Atlantic Beach, Wilmington and Raleigh.

I have done my Web research and plan to make a big investment in a brand new Hobie Getaway with all the trimmings (wings, trap, wind vane) plus a galvanized trailer and Cat Traxx. BUT, it appears that my closest dealer is 4.5 hours away in Myrtle Beach South Carolina. I have the fever to sail again, but am not willing to make this kind of investment with a 4.5 hour drive for warranty support, parts, tips & advice.

Just imagine this scenario: after 3 weeks of getting aquainted with the new Getaway I discover that I need angled cam cleats - but I will have to trailer the boat for 4.5 hours and probably leave it with the dealer. That means two 10 hour round trips for simple accesories/modifications!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:16 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
The cam cleats are adjustable on the main block so if they need to be angled then a screwdriver can do the trick, I have added a wedge the jib cleats when customers request it, 95% of the things that you will want to change have probably already been done on the production end of it, if not then they are the simple things that most anyone can do with common tools. The Getaway is a great boat and need little maintenance, I had 1 boat in rental for 3 years and never did anything but change the rigging. I think the drive would be well worth the investment, make sure they know you are on your way so they can have it all ready for you! Good luck and congrats on getting back into Cat Sailing!

Thanks,
Brad Stephens
www.sunjammers.com
Hobie Division 15 Chairman
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard/Hunter Dealer
[email protected]
850-235-2281
Panama City Beach, FL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Brad,

The possible need for angled cam cleats was just one example of an accessory or service need that I pulled from memory 25 years ago.

I am hoping that someone in Hobie Sales & Marketing would respond with news that there is (or is soon going to be) a dealer in North Carolina.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Life's too short. Go buy a couple of CD's you've been too cheap to buy and enjoy the drive.

The glass is half full.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Kitty Hawk Sports in Nags Head used to be a dealer- I think they still are-if youre on that side of the sound! :D I mostly sail off of Hatteras. They mostly seem to carry upgrade parts, though- if you need maintenance stuff it pays to call- they don't always have someone around who knows the boats- good luck! DAve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Most of us owners do the repairs and/or maintenence on the boats. You can get parts shipped to your house so you don't need to go for a 10 hour drive. If you area really wanting to get back into Hobie sailing, you will find a way to make it work.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Kitty Hawk Sports on the Outer Banks does in fact sell Getaways. I bought mine there last year. You can also check Norbanks as they were selling there boats that were rentals last year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I live in wilmington, work in arapahoe and love to work on hobies, get one and let me know if you want help or ideas, i'm in your neck of the woods at least once a month during the year and 90% of the time in the summer. get one and go for it, the best way to learn to fix um is to have no other choice.
Gray

Post subject: scottshill sailor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Scottshill sailor

I live in Wilmington in the Odgen area. I also have a lot on Scottshill loop. I don't sail here much anymore (too hard to find launch sites). I also go to regattas most weekends in the summer. It sure is a small world.

David Lennard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

David, if you ever need a crew let me know, I dont sail around here much partially because there is no water and partially because it is easier to get on the skiff that stays in the water all the time, i'm right around the corner on the loop road.
Gray Williams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I am also in Wilmington. I keep a 16 and 18 on Wrightsville Beach.(Banks channel across from Blockade runner). We pretty much go every friday. There are a couple of us ,get in touch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have just started sailing with the UNCW sailing club out of Carolina Yacht Club on banks channel, we sail wednesday and friday afternoons, so i'm sure i'll see y'all out there soon.