Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shroud connectors
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just got my first h16. The only real thing I have not gotten figured out fursure (as far as setup goes) is it has 2 connection points on each hull. One is about 12 to 16 inches behind the front pylon and the other is about 3 feet behind the front pylon both on the far outside of the deck. I am fairly sure that I should use the fore connectors for the shrouds, is this correct? and what are the other ones for? It is a 1978 w/ white hulls & tramp if this helps.

I have had it on the water with the shrouds on the fore connectors.

Thanks
Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sam,

Check out the assembly manual and then post more questions

http://www.hcana.hobieclass.com/site/hobie/hcana/downloads/hobies/h16assemblymanual.pdf

The bridle wires connect to the each bow and the forestay connects from this "Y" connection to the hound of the mast. The shrouds (or side stays) go from the hound to each side of the boat. I'm not sure what "other" points you're referring to are. The shrouds connect at the deck lip on the outside of each hull just aft of the front pylons.

Welcome to the Hobie Way of Life! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:46 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The forward ones are the correct ones. See the photo below:

You can see shroud attachment between the pylon and that dock piling that's in the foreground.

The ones further back were probably added by a previous owner, but I can't imagine why.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is what I thought. The reason I was questioning is because the twisted connectors that I remember being used by a friend several years back are on the more aft attachment points.

I could get tons or rake by using the aft points I suspose.

Thanks for your help.

Great board.

Sam

Post subject: Assembly Manual
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

John: Thanks for posting the link for the Assembly Manual. A friend of mine recently gave a Hobie 16 to my son, and we have just started working on it and cleaning it. We will have it ready to sail in the spring. I'm sure that we will have many questions, but having the manual should answer many of them.

Thanks Again, Aldo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Where will you sail near Hummelstown? I am always looking for interesting places to sail. I have not been impressed with the Bay. My crew and I were thinking of the DE or MD coast. But, you are about the same distance from me.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nick: We have a Catalina 22 that we have had for 25 years. We sail it on the Chesapeake, out of Middle River. We have sailed from Havre de Grace to Solomons, and have visited Annapolis several times. We really enjoy sailing on the Bay, but I have to admit that much of the summer there isn't much wind. That's probably why you are disappointed sailing on the Chesapeake. On our C-22, we have a big jib, a drifter, that we use to when the wind is light. I would say that we use it 90% or the time, so that is an example of how we are usually looking for more wind.

I have only sailed Hobies a few times. The last time I sailed a Hobie on Middle River was 25 years ago, but that was a great time with good friends. I'm looking forward to getting the Hobie that we have, that is currently in pieces, back together, and using it in the spring. We haven't seen as many Hobies sailing as we used to 25 years ago, but everyone is getting older.

I don't recommend that you bring your boat here to sail it. The lakes are way too small for something that moves like a Hobie. The Hobie that we have came from Tom's River, New Jersey. I had a 15 foot Chrysler Man of War that we sailed on a windy day on Lake Marberg, near Hanover, and it was like sailing on a puddle.

I'm a little overwhelmed by this website, and trying to read some of the posts so that I'm not asking a question that has already been asked 100 times.

Aldo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Aldo,

You're right, there are fewer Hobies sailing these days. But, there are pockets of die hard cat sailers all over teh country. There is a group on the West River just south of me. I have not had the time since I moved here to check them out, but they seem really nice.

Check out thier website at:

http://www.wrcra.com

I think that's it. They are the West River Catamaran Racing Association.

When the sailing season starts, if you want to meet up for a sail let me know. I am always looking for other casual cat sailers.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO