Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is it just me or, does anyone "feel" like you can make your boat go faster in one direction than the other?

I know there could be "boat" factors influencing, this such as toe in and such, but it feels like I'm/we're faster on a Starboard tack as opposed to Port. I also realize without a GPS to prove this it may not actually be true. Maybe it's because I'm right handed, I dunno?

Really, really, really bored in Kansas (todays water temp. 37 degrees) :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some times when you are sailing in a very gradual persistent shift,the headed tack(the tack that takes you in the direction the wind is shifting)feels slower.This usually only happens on big bodies of water.On a small inland lake sailing from the lifted tack to the headed tack feels slower.This is generally what I found.I am interesed to hear others opinions ,as i hear this complaint quite often,especially when i am sailling on big boats(keel)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh man, I'm not talking about in a racing situation and where I want to go, or where I need to go, shifts, persistent shifts, headers, lifts and all that. That certainly does have an influence on how fast I can go in the direction I want to go.

I'm asking about carrying VMG on a tack compared to the opposite tack, just the best VMG we can muster. :?:

Post subject: Faster
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:36 am 
Site Admin

You can feel this from many issues. The most common would be the wind to wave angle differences. Not always the same from one tack to the next. You could be crossing waves on port and punching through on starboard. You could also be sailing differently. Different rail position? Different sheet tensions.

Other than that, the mechanical differences in the rig. Check the alignment of the hulls. Measure bow to stearn on opposite hulls and compare. Loosen the tramp and tension to hold square. Bent mast? Rudder rake differences? Rudder foil shape differences? Hull keel wear differences?

Lots of possibilities.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Say John,
Do you think up this stuff in your sleep? Actually, I use to feel the same until I started using a compass with my windex. There's a little thing called the "apparent wind" that I've found to be quite deceiving and is often mistaken for the "true wind." Hope this helps.

37 degrees??? Well, it's 72 degrees here but there is "NO WIND." I think that's even more tormenting. So close but yet, so far. It's like I'm being teased.

David

Post subject: Which tack is faster?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

On my H-17, sailed for about ten years with this problem. Finally noticed the rotater tang was not drilled square in the mast. :oops: It was about 10 degrees off. Corrected the problem, and noticed the difference. Caleb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Everyone knows that if you are right handed you are always faster on Port Tack because you are holding the tiller in your right hand (more feel). If you pay attention closely, you will see the really fast guys sanding the skin on there left hand to increase sensitivity. I hear that the hot guys are even wearing thinner gloves on their left hand to make up for the difference in feel/speed. More people are right handed than left handed so that is why Starboard tack has right of way over Port tack. The faster tack gives way. This is also why we all hoot and holler at the skipper that has the courage to show us that this fact is true by crossing the fleet on Port tack while starting. People keep telling us the boat is symetric and that speed on both tacks is equal, but fast sailors like Greg Thomas and Matt Miller know that Port tack is where it is at. Why do you think it pays to "go right?" It is not wind, current, waves, or a progressive shift. It is more time spent on Port, the faster tack. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All good info :)

Matt, I hadn't thought of wave angles :idea:

Hammond, I'm thinking 400 first, then 800, not sure of what to treat my "Port" glove with just yet. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

very interesting :!: very interesting :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

On my Monohull I was noticing a significant difference in the speed on port tack over starboard, I had an old timer teach me how to tune the rig and adjust my shroud lengths to get my mast straight and noticed a huge difference not only in boat speed, but also in pointing. maybe tuning the rig will help a little more than sanding your hands.