Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Personally, if I were to carry a knife, it would be on my body not tied to the boat. Also it would be sharp and strong enough to not only cut the tramp and rope but also go through cable if needed.

As mentioned on the catsailor board, this is something that would probably have to be practiced.

Being a new sailor, I am sure that in a panic situation the knife would not be my first thought if it was not practiced.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Banzilla wrote:
Being a new sailor, I am sure that in a panic situation the knife would not be my first thought if it was not practiced.

Sam

And that is exactly why we need to post these thoughts and ideas. We can all talk about how to make these boats go as fast as possible in situations "on the edge" and in wind speed conditions that are above what maybe should or should not be undertaken. It is our nature (once you've been "bitten") to go faster and test and expand our limits, to the point at which we reach the physical limitations of the boat and our reaction time. Stuff will break and we will capsize or pitchpole. It may happen while we're alone with no other boats around. Be mindful of other sailors situations as well. We have a family of awesome high performance sailboats to enjoy to the fullest extent.

PLEASE, PLAY THE POSSIBLE SCENARIOS OUT IN YOUR MIND AND HAVE (AT LEAST) A PLAN.

Sorry, nothing about tools really, except that big grey one between my ears that seems to malfunction every once in a while.