Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tool Kit
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OK, the new Hobie 16 will be picked up later next month and I'll be ready to hit the water right away :D . But, before I go, since I've only ever sailed other people's Hobies, I'd like to know from the veteran sailors :wink: what types of tools do they keep readily at hand (both on board and in their cat boxes) to make sure they keep sailing and not broken down :( .

Hopefully, nothing too fancy as I've just laid out the cash for the boat :roll: , just the basics. That way, I'll be out there sailing with you instead of just watching from the beach 8) waiting for somebody to lend me a wrench or something . Thanks and here's looking forward to hearing from you :!:

PS - I've already got the trailer tools figured out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

vice grip, hammer, duct tape, spare shackles, pins, split rings, tramp bag. Zipper bag and cell phone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

:D small zipper bag on tramp with two hull plugs, rudder pin, cotter pins, pliers, double screwdriver, slot/phillips, knife (folding), cat wrench, black electrical tape. Spare traveler in traveler slot. Extra pins and rings, mounted in shroud plate. Extra shackles, mounted any where on boat. Cell phone in waterproof enclosure is a good idea. Righting system, paddle, and tow line. This should be the minimum, and cover most of your needs. Also, always have a PFD for everyone on board. Much easier just to wear it.

Caleb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is in addition to all of the things mentioned above.

As much as my crew hates it I always bring all of my hand tools in the trunk of my car when I go sailing. Even the cordless drill. Granted, I have always owned boats about 20 years old and things break after a few decades. But, I have been glad I brought all of my tools. I also save things like rudders when I replace them so I can have a spare to get me through the rest of the day if I need it.

I don't know how many times I've repaired the boat at the beach and was back on the water in no more than 2 hours.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Most stuff has been covered, but here are a few items in my sailbox that no-one has mentioned: the sailor's tool (Hobie Catalog page 46, part number 83103) - very handy for working with rudder cams, a small crescent wrench for tightening shackle pins (the screw in type, not the split-ring type), a lighter/waterproof matches for burning the ends of any new lines I need to cut, and various spare parts. I always carry a pocket knife, so I don't bother leaving one in the box. I can always run home for any other tools I need.

Conesus Lake, NY
1976 Hobie 14

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In your tramp bag, like they said earlier: Shackle tool (must) extra pins, shackles, black or duct tape, plyers, screwdriver (in case you can't get the rudder cams to pop with your mainsheet) extra plugs and maybe extra parts for the main traveler, as those blow out on 16s without warning.
Also, load up a couple of waters and powerbars too..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Solarez - This is a tube of fiberglass reinforced resin the kicks in the sun. Great for very quick repairs.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On Dan's resin stuff, only if you plan on hitting things or expect competitors to hit you... :D

It really is quick repair stuff, but you have to work fast and out of direct sun light. Then you have to move to direct sun for the repair to "go off". The repair is not going to match, but you will be back on the water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quick repairs...I thought that was what Chris' duct tape was for? :shock:

Seriously, thanks for that tip Dan. I've heard of waterproof duct tape but it probably wouldn't hold up (or be useless) after traveling around in the emergency bag for extended periods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mike Hammond:

I never expect anyone to hit me! That's what rules are for. Having said that...I got hit at the Worlds in Santa Barbara and that stuff (Solarez) got me back on the water about 20 minutes after hitting the beach. It saved my day.

Most of the other tools you will find in anyone's quiver. I have never seen any one else carry this.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hello Dan,

I almost fell out of my chair laughing. I hope you know I was only poking fun. I have used the stuff on a surfboard. A little piece of clear plasic makes a repair that needs no sanding.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes Mike I did know it was in fun.

I just remembered another very important tool. We keep a very sharp knife tied to the bottom of the boat, in a sheath, under the trampoline. I think you can figure out that the only way to conveniently get to it is if the boat is upside down. It is nice to know that someone can slit the trampoline to pop a head out for breathing if there is a problem with being trapped.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dan DeLave wrote:
We keep a very sharp knife tied to the bottom of the boat, in a sheath, under the trampoline. I think you can figure out that the only way to conveniently get to it is if the boat is upside down. It is nice to know that someone can slit the trampoline to pop a head out for breathing if there is a problem with being trapped.

Later,
Dan

Dan,
Am I missing someting here?

If the knife is on the bottom of the boat and You are in the water with the boat upside down on top of you, that puts the bottom of the boat and knife out of the water and out of reach doesn't it?

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I see where Dan is going with this. ONE of you will be on the top of the water, and can grab the knife and cut the crew out if they catch their bucket hook on a tramp line or godforbid, a grommett.
I don't carry a knife and probably should, I have this kayak lifevest I wear for sailing and it has a place to store a knife on it. I should get one just to be safe. I am just afraid of what I'll do if I get cut off at A mark and I am armed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We carry folding knives in lifevest. This is for that time that xanderwess points out. One is safe on top and the other is stuck underneath. You can ask Doug Skidmore of Hobie Cat if "HE" thinks it is a good idea. He will say, "From experience yes." I am sure of it.

Later,
Dan