Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: beach sailing
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

What is the easiest way (if possible) load/unload a 16 at the beach. The motel / condo just has a beach access. I thought to back up to sand, push boat off trailer,use beach wheels & roll down to beach ? Then step mast at beach ? this will be my first time. .thanks,,

Post subject: First time
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I always step my mast on the trailer while strapped down. I also put the rudders on too as the pins go in from the bottom on a 17 and I have found it easier. Then I do the rest while on the beachwheels. We have a good forum on our site, check it out sometime.

Doug Snell
Hobie 17
www.tcdyc.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Your strategy of backing the trailer up to the sand and then cat wheeling the boat down to the beach should work just fine. Make sure you survey the area for power lines as it sounds like you’re sailing in a place new to you. Once you’re at the location, move the cat wheels from under the boat and let the hulls nestle in the sand. That should give it plenty of stability. Most likely you’ll have someone there to help you step the mast, so just be sure to ask them to keep the mast head out of the sand and guide the shrouds around the rudders and rear corner castings as you’re stepping the mast. The forestay chain plate connected to the bridle wires off the bows will probably be buried in the sand, but you can set it on a life jacket or something to keep it clean until your helper connects it to the forestay. Good luck -Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, thanks for encouragement, this is new to me, I have sailed on a cat 3 times on the ocean, last time was about 15 years ago. Saw others sailing last year & want to do it myself. Can not be that hard if the weather is calm. The last time I sailed the owner let me do the driving & controlling the boat.