Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Harriw have you got or could you take any photos of the jib protector kit ...installed??
Have you steppped the mast yet?
Thanks!
[email protected]

Post subject: Jib Snorkel
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you are talking about the snorkel, that is, the zippered 'sock' that covers the jib, so you can leave the jib raised and 'set' when the boat is parked, no, no pictures no. Photos will only be ready in May after the Club opens.

After sailing, once we have parked the boat on the beach, we use the main halyard to raise the snorkel, zipping as we go. The snorkel is not an expensive extra, and it really saves the jib.

There is a light line system, with a pulley, tht one can use to raise & lower the snorkel, but no one has been able to explain to me how this works. Every time I try and set it, it tangles as I furl or unfurl the jib.

Good winds

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

http://www.mariner-sails.com/partdetail.asp?id=23405

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The kit consists of rubber/plastic boots, that fit over the ends of the spreader bars, and prevents the jib from catching on any metal bits or cotter pins.

The rollers are usually two piece, (half wheels) which assemble by 'clicking' over the diamond wires, just above the spreader bars. If you have never seen one, its a sort of a puzzle ring until you line up the grooves on the two half-wheels. Don't 'click' it until you are ready to mount it on the diamond wire.

These wheels allow the jib to 'roll' across easily without jamming up on the spreader bars as you tack. Hope this is helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Splash,

No, I haven't taken any pictures yet, and I haven't stepped the mast yet. I put on a coat of wax and put the tramp back on last night though, so I'm planning on stepping it in the driveway sometime in the next few days just to see how things all work out together. If you give me your email address I can take a few pictures of the mast laying down to show you the installed kit. I actually only put on 4 of the 8 pin protectors. I left the ones closest to the mast uncovered - I may go back and do them as well, or save them as spares - I figured the outside pins are the important ones to cover up. By the way, the installation goes more smoothly if you buy new cotter pins too - straightening the old ones can be difficult at times, and they're easy to drop in the grass.

I'll take some pictures in the next few days and send them if you like. How's your project boat coming?

Conesus Lake, NY
1976 Hobie 14

Post subject: Thanks harryw
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My mail is [email protected]

I have last installed new shrouds...anchor plate upgrade and I´m installing the trapeze this year to...

we could do a photo section to introduce our hobie 18´s :)