Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fort Myers info needed
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have just finished my Hobie 14 restoration and sailed it for the first time last Sunday on the North side of the Sanibel Causeway.

A Sheriff's Deputy stopped by and told me I could not have my trailer there but had to use the boat ramp. I told him that I could not launch a Hobie from a ramp. He said I could drop it off the trailer at the beach but had to take the trailer to the boat ramp car park.

Is anyone sailing a Hobie in and around Fort Myers ?

Where are good places to sail from ?

I would really like to be able to sail on the Caloosahachee River but have no idea where to put in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I live just up the road in Punta Gorda. There used to be a fleet in Fort Myers many years ago. The recent Alter Cup winner Robbie Daniels used to be in the Fleet.

You should try at the Edison Sailing Center at the north end of the 41 S bridge.

I launch at Port Charlotte Beach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jack wrote:
I live just up the road in Punta Gorda. There used to be a fleet in Fort Myers many years ago. The recent Alter Cup winner Robbie Daniels used to be in the Fleet.

You should try at the Edison Sailing Center at the north end of the 41 S bridge.

I launch at Port Charlotte Beach.

What do you mean by the 41 S Bridge ? Cape Coral Parkway, Midpoint, what ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Cleveland Avenue, North Fort Myers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I grew up in Ft. Myers and want to take my boat back, but have no idea where to sail. I think the place you are talking about is next to what used to be the Chart House down-town. I don't know if they will let you launch there or not. Is there still a causway on the north side of the Edison bridge? I was also thinking about Bunch Beach, but I have not been out there in years. I am sure there has to be somewhere around Ft. Myers Beach. Please post if you find a good spot.

Jonny
Tiger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

jcatlett wrote:
I grew up in Ft. Myers and want to take my boat back, but have no idea where to sail. I think the place you are talking about is next to what used to be the Chart House down-town. I don't know if they will let you launch there or not. Is there still a causway on the north side of the Edison bridge? I was also thinking about Bunch Beach, but I have not been out there in years. I am sure there has to be somewhere around Ft. Myers Beach. Please post if you find a good spot.

Jonny
Tiger

Bunche Beach is now a State Park. You can park there but there is a row of boulders to stop you getting anything onto the beach. It is also very shallow at high tide.

There used to be a beach with parking on the south side of the Sanibel Causeway toll gates but this is now occupied by the people building the new causeway and is fenced off.

One or two openings in the shore line exist between Bunche Beach and the Toll Gates but these openings are jam packed with trucks on a weekend.

A friend, who used to run Lovers Key State Park thinks that there are a couple of places on Fort Myers Beach, near the Catholic Church, where you can get through onto the beach. I shall have to have a look. He says that there is nowhere on or around Lovers Key.

I am told that I can maybe get a Hobie in the water at the locks in Alva. Again - I'll have to have a look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow, that stinks. I took my boat down once last year while we were staying in a cottage at the North end of Ft. Myers Beach. We snuck the boat on to the beach through a private road between cottages and left it on the beach in front of our place for a week. We had no problems and sailed all week. It would be nice to sail down there without having to rent a place on the beach. Good luck.