Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Righting Bags
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone ever used the big Murray's righting bag? (page 36 in the catalog - comes with a 4:1 block and tackle and supposedly holds 250 lbs). I've never used a righting bag before, but have heard that they can be rather akward and cumbersome to use. I'm wondering if the block and tackle would make this one easier? With this bag you'd still have to balance it on your shoulder as you leaned out (which I've heard is the tricky part), but at least you could fill the bag and set the height "just so" before hand.

If it is easier to use, I'm thinking of getting one to keep on the H18 to possibly allow solo righting. Does that sound possible/realistic? 250 lbs in the bag plus my 195 lbs is well over the 280 lb minimum (am I remembering that correctly?) to right an H18, right? But it's listed at $180, and that's a lot of money to spend if it's just going to be a pain to use.

Actually, what I'd really like to do is rig a righting pole (Murrays has one on the next page) and hang a big ol' righting bag on the end of it. That ought to solve all my righting problems. Of course, now we're talking about a $500 righting system.

Does anyone out there use a righting pole? Is it possible to solo right with one of these? Most of the pictures I've seen of righting poles in action show 2 people so I'm guessing that's probably not enough by itself.

Conesus Lake, NY
1976 Hobie 14

Post subject: Righting Pole
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Send Rick an email and ask him if it will work. My Hobie 17 tramp would not work with it and I think the 18 is shaped the same. Curves to low. I had to send mine back

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have the righting bucket with no tackle for my Hobie 16, and the only time I have to try and use it, it did not work that well (The Rope was Way too long), and so the bag would be in the water with no righting moment way too soon, by the I got the rope shortened up with a series of knotts, I had sailing by tramp into the lee shore, and was able to walk the mast up via the stays..

When I am single handing, I try not to capsize, so I have not had a chance to play with the bag again.

Post subject: Right again
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I never used the bag. What I used alot was the kit that lengthed the stay on top (out of the water) hull. Pull the pin, the stay gets 12-18" longer makin gthe bottom of the boat lean away from the mast. Worked pretty well. In heavy seas it was a bit tough to shorten the stay back to it's original position but using the wind helps...
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would reccommed the righting pole. This will give you more leverage without needed to haul a huge bag of water. You can buy one from Rick White or you can make one using an old windsurfer mast. Call up a shop and ask if they have a used/broken one that will work.

I will be making one for myself this winter.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO