Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My kite surfing harness is designed to hold back a ton of kite power and most specifically, hold me into the rig without breaking from a boost (jumping and hang time). This looks similar to the half harnesses I see in the Cat stores, no? It wasnt cheap and I was wondering if there is any reason I should NOT use it? I've never trapped out on a Hobie so I dont know the forces, position of the trap hook on my body (or Junk Squeeze associated...). This harness is designed to be hooked in and hold the kites connection loop about 25-90 degress with out scraping my nips off or coming off the hook. We do however use a retainer on the rig to hold the loop in place but under power and strain of body weight, its hard to unhook. The retainer is on the kite rig, not on the harness so it won't be used if I use this harness to trap out with.

Whatcha think?

[url][url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/34840771@N04/5716510742/]Image[/url]
Storm Harness by pokitetrash, on Flickr[/url]

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used my windsurfing seat harness for several years for trapping on the Hobie. I still do occasionally. The main disadvantage is that there is very little if any back support. The windsurfing harness I used was a slalom seat with a very low hook, so trapping out flat takes a lot of ab strength and at times, it felt like I was going to slip out of the harness, so not really ideal for racing. It's definitely worth giving it a shot though, especially for recreational sailing. Just make sure that unhooking is not difficult. My understanding is that kitesurfing spreader bars are designed so you don't come unhooked. On a Hobie, you definitely want to be able to unhook easily. Test it out on land first.

sm

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have also used my windsurfing harness (similar to kite harness) and it worked OK. One issue to check is if the wide hook will fit into the dogbones on the hobie. They fit in some and also in the wire cable trap rings with the handle in the middle but on some of the old style dogbones the hook won't fit.

As stated above you want to be able to unhook easily.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I recently purchased a leftover 2010 Dakine Fusion seat harness that looks similar to the Dakine Storm harness you're considering. Bought it online for $99 from RealWatersports.com. The Fusion is beefier and stiffer than Hobie's "Skipper's Harness" and I suspect it wouldn't be as comfortable as Hobie's if you spend long periods sitting on the trampoline (instead of trapping out). The Fusion does provide significantly more back support, though.

Along with the harness I also purchased Dakine's 12" hammerhead spreader bar and optional spreader bar pad. My boat has J&H Trap handles, so no worries on the spreader bar hooking in. One cool feature is the neoprene spreader bar pad comes with a handy emergency cut-away knife secured in a velcro pocket. Here's a review of the Dakine Fusion I bought.....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArY4V_7shOw[/youtube]

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Cool! My Dakine might be bulky, but I'll give it a shot. And the added flotation in the Kite harness will help keep my big a$$ afloat!

Thanks All!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Funny, I was think the opposite: Will my Hobie branded harness work for kite boarding? It's the convertible model where the shoulder straps can be removed, which I would do if kite boarding with it since those are not featured on any of the kite boarding harness I've seen.

Can anyone say if it would be a suitable substitute?

If it ain't a blowin', I ain't a goin'

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Jman6631 wrote:
Funny, I was think the opposite: Will my Hobie branded harness work for kite boarding? It's the convertible model where the shoulder straps can be removed, which I would do if kite boarding with it since those are not featured on any of the kite boarding harness I've seen.

Can anyone say if it would be a suitable substitute?

A kite surfing harness like the one I pictured in the first post is designed for kite surfing/traction sports, therefore the spreader bar is built with the massive load on the hook (doubled steel loop, unlike the trap harnesses with a single tang) and directon of pull in mind; pull is almost strait up. I'm sure a trap harness will hold your hanging weight on most flat, calm kiting sessions but I don't know if I'd trust the spreader bar build or the harness stitching to hold me 30 feet in the air after a boost and the forces created by the kite in a boost (Think about a 200lb person being yanked up while accellerating, held by the hook). Also, as far as comfort, the upward pull of a kite presses the spreader bar up and in under your ribs so you want really good padding under the spreader bar which a good kite harness usually comes with. You can probably get away with using your trap harness, but you can get a decent kite harness for about $100 with a spreader, about half for a used one and the used ones are often cherry. If your'e looking for used one, you can check the "for sale" section of http://www.powerkiteforum.com.

Edit: The double loop hook on a Kite Harness is for strength but also for locking in to a kite's harness attachement point called a chicken loop (like a trap ring) and a "donkey dick" which goes thru the hook to lock. For trapping, the loop on the harness should not present a problem getting out of unless you use the old style dog bone trap loop. The large trap loops should work fine because they are actually bigger than the kite chicken loop.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, Crieke, thanks a million. That's exactly what I needed. Doesn't surprise, gear is made specifically for specific uses so I can understand how these wouldn't necessarily be substitutes.

If it ain't a blowin', I ain't a goin'

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have also used my windsurfing harness (similar to kite harness) and it worked FINE..

Try the Kiteboarding lessons in NY and also kiteboarding lessons in long island for more information..