Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

So I just purchased this kit and am way stoked about it. I do have a few questions though.

Why is it critical to put the adjustment on the port side, the tillar cross bar seems symetric and all the adjuster pice does is adjust the total length of the cross bar. I have no problem installing it as the instructions say, but I just don't understand.

Second question: How critical are the plastic washers that come in the kit that go inbetween the two fittings. You see my kit didn't come with these. Well I'm going to the hardware store anyway, I'll just pick my own up there.

Third question: How many rivits should have come in this kit. Mine only has four. It seems as if six are necessary. Two for each tiller, and two for the non adjustable crossbar fitting. Do I need stainless steel rivits here, or can I use aluminum ones.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Adam[/list]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Look straight down the tiller crossbar from the fixed side. I think you will notice that the tiller swivel in the middle of the crossbar is not in the exact same angle as the hole that is fixed for the tiller arm. It will either be tilted forward or back, I cannot remember. You do not want the tiller to put stress on the crossbar during a tack if you throw it out the back. You want it to rest easily in the water and not strain the tiller joint at all.

Later,
Dan