Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Holder 12 Comtip Mast
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently was given an 87 Holder 12. The fiberglass mast tip and Tiller handle have exposed fiberglass, can they be re-epoxied? Any suggestions. Also the boom is damaged need to replace... Any ideas where? Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had a Holder 12 a long time ago, same year. They're great little boats.

For the mast, you can give it a quick sanding to knock off all the exposed fibers (probably want to wear hand protection to keep from getting splinters). Then spray it with a couple coats of your favorite hardware store spray paint to seal the fibers. You could coat it with epoxy, but it will be much more time consuming and expensive and really isn't necessary.

For the tiller extension, I would give it a quick sand and then wrap it with grip tape (hockey tape). The other option would be to simply replace it. It is the same tiller extrusion that's stock on all the Hobie catamarans. Find the one that's the closest in lenght (Hobie 14?) and then cut it to fit.

For the boom, I think your best bet would be to find a used Laser boom and cut it to length. Laser parts are much more readily available than Holder parts. Not sure if the gooseneck fittings are interchangeable, so you might have to swap out the goosenecks too.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought an older Holder 12. Does anyone have a link to the manual? I did see a link, but it's a PDF in black and white and the photos are hard to see.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks SRM.. The mast is now painted and looking good. I haven't had any luck on the boom yet... can't wait to get her back on the water...

As to the manual question that was just posted. That's the only manual I have been able to find too.