Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all,

I am looking for the hobie bravo equivalent in the monohull world...

I have had my Getaway for about a year now, love flying around the lake with the family when the wind is blowing and everyone's schedules are free... which isn't frequently enough.

I find the Getaway big enough and the setup just long enough to hinder my solo sailing, so I was thinking of adding a small 1-2 person boat to the fleet that I can just store on the beach at our marina, and then wouldn't you know it someone nearby is selling a bravo at a decent price.

This got me thinking if I should consider a monohull for my second boat. I would want something dead simple to beach launch and set up, kinda like the bravo, but just don't know whats available. Mono experience is only on 30'+ saltwater vessels.

Any suggestions? Or just get the Bravo?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

nbourbaki wrote:
Hi all,

I am looking for the hobie bravo equivalent in the monohull world...

I have had my Getaway for about a year now, love flying around the lake with the family when the wind is blowing and everyone's schedules are free... which isn't frequently enough.

I find the Getaway big enough and the setup just long enough to hinder my solo sailing, so I was thinking of adding a small 1-2 person boat to the fleet that I can just store on the beach at our marina, and then wouldn't you know it someone nearby is selling a bravo at a decent price.

This got me thinking if I should consider a monohull for my second boat. I would want something dead simple to beach launch and set up, kinda like the bravo, but just don't know whats available. Mono experience is only on 30'+ saltwater vessels.

Any suggestions? Or just get the Bravo?

Get a Hobie Wave NOT a Hobie Bravo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fUEa7FRpCA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Asking about a monohull on a Hobiecat forum????

Just buy the Bravo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you're not too large, find an old 14 or turbo! Easy to rig, fast and totally manageable solo. Only downside is they don't carry weight well. Solo that doesn't matter unless you're larger

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For quick setup and solo sailing, I'd go with the Bravo.
My son had the old MonoCat, which is similar. It was a blast solo! And my daughter, when she was tiny, and I rented a Bravo one day. Fun little boat.
It's like a catamaran Laser.

Too many canoes and kayaks

Last edited by dorienc on Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Consider a Force 5 (Similar to laser, but cheaper and more sail area make it great for light wind sailing). I have a Hobie 16 and Force 5. The Hobie takes about 45 minutes to rig by myself, the Force 5 about 10 minutes. No shrouds, no jib, sleeved main all make it much more convenient to go sailing for a few hours. Stepping the mast and rigging a H16 is not worth it to me unless I can sail all day (or multiple days).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mantaray wrote:
Consider a Force 5 (Similar to laser, but cheaper and more sail area make it great for light wind sailing).

Yeah, that's a great boat! Or a Laser or Laser II if you can find one. There are a lot of cool little boats. The Moth looks like a lot of fun too, with its foil.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought a Topper Topaz Uno Plus at the beginning of this season to teach my kids how to sail. It's been a blast and I think it meets what you're looking for very nicely. It also fits rather perfectly on the trailer UNDER my Getaway:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have an 18 Magnum, 17 Sport, and my Son has a 14 turbo. After years of sailing my wife announced she wanted a boat of her own to sail. We looked at sunfish, lasers, and picos. I finally found a Hobie Bravo and bought it. BEST decision ever. I weigh 240 and my wife is normal lady size. It sails great with both of us on board. I sit up front while she learns how. (She really does not need me I'm just there for her comfort level.) My college age Son sails it hard and loves it. Great all around boat. If you just want to play by yourself or, better still teach someone, you could hardly do better than a Bravo.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I don't know where you are located - but I am selling a bravo AND a wave (also a 16 but assume you are not interested in that boat). I am selling them all and then buying a new 16 :) - for those that are wondering.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I second Creative's vote on the WAVE!! Best solo experience of my life coming from H16's. I have had 3 waves over the years and have yet to experience anything so much fun doing solo in 25-35 knots of breeze. Yet easily handled by a child in light winds. Another one of Hobie's genius designs. I trailer, am rigged and in the water in 10-15 min. Including putting on the wet suit. Simple rig!