Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More newbie questions
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi guys, Excellent response on the request for videos, thanks again. Just wondering about trailering my 18. Should I be removing rudders, stays and trap lines before transporting the boat? I don't believe the previous owner did. Also has anyone read the book "catamaran sailing from start to finish", and is it worth owning? I think that covers todays queries. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I take off my rudders to keep them out of the sun and lessen the wear on the hardware. The wire rigging, I coil and tie to the trampoline. Now I use the winch method (It is in the hobie catalog) to raise the mast. I don't know why I didn't start doing that a long time ago. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Jeff, now that you mention the "winch" system for stepping the mast, I did see several styles, and they mention using the trap lines to reduce side to side motion. We set up our boat the other day (in the back yard), and it was quite a struggle to get the mast up and secured. but when we brought it back down I just left the shrouds attached until the mast was back down, much easier. Is there a reason that they don't suggest this? Also as far as the rigging on the mast, I have the stays, trap lines etc all run down the mast and secured in several places with bungie cord, any comments or observations welcome.
Dave

P.S. was hoping to get on the "cold" water today but the wind and rain make it somewhat too chilly for my liking. Where I am located, every lost weekend is a sad sad thing............ :cry: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I thread the jib sheet through the centerboard bungee loop that is forward the main beam, to the trapeze wires then pull tight and cleat. This keeps the mast going side to side. My forward mast cradle on the trailer tongue is about 6.5" tall and I run the trailer winch line through a pulley at the top of the cradle to the fore stay.Then I have someone hold the mast as high as they can and start winching. As the mast starts to raise, I yell to the person who was holding the mast, "GET OUT OF THE WAY OF THE MAST" and then have them help me pin the fore stay. It is still a two person job, but it is easer and seem safer than the "heave ho". I always leave the shrouds attached, except to tension.

Last edited by HOBIE18906 on Mon May 29, 2006 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am following you, I appreciate the insight it all makes better sense to me now. especially the trap line connected to the jib sheet and utilizing the cleats. But, I should have been more specific when I mentoned leaving the stays, trap lines attached and bungied to the mast, I meant that I leave them that way to transport......is that a common practice? I can't see a problem with it as long as they are well supported and not kinked.

Thanks again,
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

No kinks, no chafing, perfect! :D