It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

http://www.hobieclass.com/?Page=10154

Changes/Deletions to rules in Bold...

General Rule 16.3

PROPOSAL

16.3 Compasses with brackets or electronic devices that provide timing and heading memory but which do not transmit, transfer or receive data are permitted. The use of navigation and speed metering equipment is illegal unless specifically allowed in the individual boat rules or by the Notice of Race for the particular event or regatta. Radios may be used for weather information and for emergencies under the following conditions:

a) On board radios shall be turned OFF and stored from 1/2 hour prior to the boat’s Class warning signal of the first race of the day until after the finish of the last race of the day unless there is an emergency, or unless specified otherwise in the Notice of Race and Sailing Instructions.

b) If an on board radio is turned ON to any channel during the time restriction in 16.3 a) other than for an emergency, the competitor shall retire immediately and notify the race committee of its action. Improper use of an on board radio is a protestable action under Fair Sailing RRS 2 and may result in disqualification from the race or entire series. [/strikeout]

REASON
Deletion of the text related to the use of radios is based in a wish to leave regulation of this area up to the RRS, NOR and SI rather than having it in the class rules.

Plus associated rule changes for Hobie 20 and 21

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Rule 13.3 a) has been subject to discussions between ISAF and IHCA. The result is hereby distributed for comments according to the provisions of General Class Rule 24. Changes to the current rule are in red italic.

General Rule 13.3 a)
PROPOSAL
A COMPTIP shall be mandatory for the North American Region with the exception of the Hobie Dragoon, Hobie FX-One and Hobie Fox, which shall be raced worldwide with an aluminium mast. All sailors will be allowed one exemption to this rule. After the one exemption is granted, the onus is on the individual to prove that an attempt has been made to obtain a COMPTIP. In the case of factory back orders on COMPTIPs, temporary exemption will be granted upon proof of such back order and only until back order is filled.

REASON
The intention of the “one exemption” clause in Gen. Rule 13.3 a) originally was to allow for a smooth mast transition in the North American Region after the Comptip became mandatory and the supply was short. This is no longer the situation, for which reason the “one exemption” clause is no longer relevant.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is MY thoughts about it..

Rule 16.3.

I don't see why we don't just delete the entire rule. It would seem the rule was written for a day when GPS, and navigation technology was expensive. This is no longer the case, and in fact creates a situation where the technology we can use is unnecessarily expensive.

For example. On our Hobie Cats traditional compasses are hard to read.. So A Tack Tic micro is the solution. A 500 dollar solution. The problem is there are thousands of CHEAP devices on the market which would provide compass heading, but they also would provide speed information making them not legal. The rule makes things unnecessarily expensive should a sailor want compass information. It practically requires sailors to buy specialized equipment to comply with the rule instead of using cheap and widely available technology.

I have previously asked about using my Garmin Virb Elite Camera at Hobie Class events, and was told it was legal. It is a video camera similar to a Go Pro which also logs a GPS file so that on video playback you can see boat speed and compass headings, GPS path.. ect. Where I have it mounted on the boat I can't see the screen to monitor speed real time, but with software updates it is now technically possible. It will also transmit to a phone via wifi...

It would be a tough rule to enforce though if someone did in fact wish to break the rule. Garmin even sells a NICE watch which provides all of this information for LESS than a Tack Tick...

Also LOTS of sailors these days are using RaceQ's It is online program which allows sailors to use an app to track GPS and then automatically will allow them to replay the race, with the other boats in the race afterward. I can assure everyone this is happening at club events where class rules should be in effect. Nobody has a problem with it.

If you want youth sailors. deleting the entire rule also seems like a move in the right direction.. Let them use the toys they are overwhelmingly familiar with, and besides that, most of the technology we have banned via this rule allows sailors to post that information right to social media. Allowing current technology would only serve to promote the class.

Rule 13.3a

Put me on record as not a fan of the Comp tip in the first place, but if the exception rule is dropped it WILL hurt my fleet locally. There are still a LARGE number of old boats out there which don't have comptip masts. We work HARD to teach the people how to sail and get them on the line. We have used the exception numerous times to INTRODUCE new sailors to racing. It allows them a CHEAP way to test the water. Doing it this way has in our fleet caused SEVERAL people to try it out... and then either switch to a comptip or upgrade to a much newer boat all together.

I am one of these exceptions. I bought an old boat, and wouldn't have gone to the trouble of buying a comptip or a mast to simply try my hand at racing. Just a few short years later I bought a brand new boat, and have become a VERY active sailor and promoter of the sport. There are several just like me in our fleet.

I don't see how dropping this exception helps the Class.

Ron Holm
Commodore Hobie Fleet 297. Lawrence KS.. One of the fastest growing fleets in the USA!
Hobie Class Association North America. ( Webmaster)