Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spinnaker Halyard Cleat
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Anyone have an opinion of what I should use for the cleat for my spinnaker halyard? I have a Hobie 18SX and can not wait to set up the big sail.

Thanks in advance guys!

Adam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Look at the Harken Pivoting Exit/Cam #291,that is what I put on my 21SE back in 1989.Still works great! :)
I am sure there is an updated version of that style block. :lol:
Bill 404 21SE

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Are you sure that part number is right. When I googled it I got this :

I thought the spin halyard cleated to the front cross bar and not the mast? This might not be a bad idea though.

Adam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is what mine looks like,it attaches to the mast on my boat and it's the spinnaker halyard.You know,the line that raises the spinnaker. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yeah I'm on the same page, line that raises the spin. My buddies have theirs mounted to the front crossbar and run it in a loop as a retrieval line.

Thanks for your help, so does anyone have an idea of what I'm talking about.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie Dude wrote:
Yeah I'm on the same page, line that raises the spin. My buddies have theirs mounted to the front crossbar and run it in a loop as a retrieval line.

Thanks for your help, so does anyone have an idea of what I'm talking about.

Those are the two most common ways to mount the cleat. On the Xbar with a Swivel Cam Cleat, like the traveler cleat. Or on the mast with the cleat shown above. Both do the same thing.

If you mount it on the mast, some manufacturers are mounting them up about chest high when standing on the tramp, which some crews like.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

on my fx-1 i tried the swivel cam cleat on the front beam as suggested by tiger sailors but found the spin halyard sometimes re-cleated when dousing AND the jib
sheet fouled on it when tacking
now i just use a cam-cleat with NO fairlead still on the front beam and that works so well with no hangups at all

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

on my fx-1 i tried the swivel cam cleat on the front beam as suggested by tiger sailors but found the spin halyard sometimes re-cleated when dousing AND the jib
sheet fouled on it when tacking
now i just use a cam-cleat with NO fairlead still on the front beam and that works so well with no hangups at all
That is a plain cam cleat(no swivel and no fairlead)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a spin-lock on a swivel attached to the crossbar. I have so much downhaul hardware on the mast it isn't practical to place it there.

I'm still confused about what you are doing. The SX spin uses a continuous halyard/tack line but no snuffer retrieval line. It is retrieved by the sheets and stuffed into a deck bag.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm modifying a standard SX spin by adding snuffing patches so that I can snuff it on a mid pole snuffer, which is why I'm looking for a continuous halyards/snuffer line.

I have a friend that has this set up on his H21SE and it's just so smooth to use and cleans up the deck.

Adam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you go with it mounted on the mast it'll be above any down haul components. I use the Ronstan RF-5 with a Harken cleat on it. I've had bad luck with the Harken setup. I wouldn't recommend a Spinlock for the halyard, they have a habit of cleating while dousing.

If you want to do a single line system the rigging gets really goofy as the tack line will have to run up the mast as well. It works fine when set up, but still prefer the simplicity of the two line system.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Does anyone have a reccomendation for a set up on the crossbar that works well for you? I'm still weighing my options and trying to figure out what will work best.

Thanks everyone for all of your help,
Adam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a spin-lock on a swivel plate with a block attached in front to transfer the line load off the cam assembly. Halyard is coming straight down the mast so you need to create an angle to get it to cleat off on the crossbar. Harken cammatic will work here as easily as a spin-lock, still needs to be on a swivel plate.
The exit block on the mast would be the best method but seems like a pain if you are raising and the block is leeward, especially solo. We stand over the spin-lock while raising, so much faster to stand. I can see where there is additional hoisting speed by having it on the mast instead of the crossbar.