Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:31 am 
Site Admin

Organizers of the Hobie 16/20 North Americans that are being held this November in Ft. Walton Beach, FL. are looking for photos of Carlton Tucker to use in a memorial slide show honoring Carlton.

If you have some images to share... please email them to TL who is collecting them for the event.

[email protected]

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I looked but didn't have any pictures. I have a number of stories though.

At a light air Prosail start in Newport, RI, the whole fleet was a bumping together mass at the starting line. The Prosail series had no penalty for contact-"rubbing was racing". Someone in the jumble of boats yelled," Olympic medalists and World Champions this or that the hell!!! I've seen better starts in C-fleet 16s." (back then there were so many people racing Hobies that different classes were divided up in A, B, and C fleets, with C-fleets being beginners. Carlton started laughing so hard that he laid his head back and his cap fell off. As everyone got off the line, I saw Carlton backing his boat up to get his cap out of the water. He probably still finished in the middle of the fleet in that race.

After the last race of the season in '88 we were all sailing our boats back to the beach at the Presidio (San Francisco Bay) where all our trailers were. I looked back and saw Carlton with his jib furled and his bows sitting high out of the water. I sailed back down to him and asked if he needed any help. He was sitting back against the wing relaxing and said, "No thanks, we're just taking in the scenery."

In Wrightsville Beach, at the hotel we were based out of, he calmly talked some drunk out of starting a fight who was razzing some other guy who was wearing a pink wetsuit.

Carlton was a cool guy!