Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Are you interested in some sort of Bahama raid?
1) yes sailing my own boat from Florida 39%  39%  [ 9 ]
2) Yes shipping my own boat to Nassau Georgetown 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
3) Yes flying in and using a hobie 16 43%  43%  [ 10 ]
4)Yes flying in and using a hobie getaway 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
5)Yes flying in and using a different hobie (Please comment on the thread what boat you'd prefer) 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 23
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I believe 3000 euros is about $4200 USD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just checked that....yes youre right. A lot of cash for two weeks and then you add on the flights, restaurant meals etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,
I am in the Exumas working at the moment and believe there would be no better Hobie sailing adventure anywhere else.

How did this all pan out? I see from the dates it was a while back.

My family would be extremely excited about doing this type of trip.

I delivered a 40ft Cat from the BVI to Staniel Cay a couple years ago and instead of being paid cash worked day for day of vacation time on the cat.

We are probably going to use the cat this May for our vacation in the Exumas. However I think a Hobie adventure would be a lot more exciting.

Any feedback as to how your adventure turned out would be great to hear.

Kind regards,
Bill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Safariel,

This is a fantastic idea! I am a yacht captain and spend a lot of time in the Exuma's with my boss. I can't tell you how many times I've wished I had access to a Hobie 16 down there! I would be all about renting a Hobie from you if you were to buy a number of boats. Below are a few thoughts on the subject.

1. Definitely the Exuma's and not the Abaco's. Exuma's are MUCH prettier and more to see and do.

2. I think it should be done with Hobie 16's. All that wind and flat water would be a Hobie 16 paradise.

3. I personally don't think there is any need to go further than Staniel Cay. There is so much to see and do and places to visit between Alan's Cays and Staniel Cay, it's just not necessary to go all the way to George Town.

There are several good places to make stops at night, and I'm very confident you would receive a lot of support from the owners of the various marina's, hotels, and resorts.

Let me know if I can help you with anything...

I hope this works out!

G :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I know this was started a while ago but I wanted to say that I would be interested in this trip. I am located in SW Florida so it would be easy to get my boat over to the east coast to sail it over. Let me know if this is still being considered. Would be willing to do what I could do to help.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have said it before
Sailing any Hobie Cat from Florida to the Bahamas is a really bad idea
I have been there This is some bad water
Former Hobie Admiral Gary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

However, sailing a Hobie for a few days around the Staniel Cay, Black Point area would be the absolute best!!

There is a very private, perfectly protected, perfect beach just a few hundred yards south that Black point that would be awesome to overnight in. You can sort of see it on Google Earth.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This is addressed to the people planning to sail their Hobies from Florida over to the Bahamas…

Twenty plus years ago, when I was young and stupid; three friends and I made a trip on two Hobie 18s during a July 4th week to Bimini. My crew and I sailed an 18 magnum, and my friend and his crew sailed an 18. We put in at Key Biscayne and sailed to North Bimini (Alice Town); approximately 60 nm as the crow flies. Back then GPS was not in recreational use, so we used LORAN and an old fashion compass. No cell phones either. Chase boat? What chase boat. Did I mention we were young and stupid?

We had double shrouds on the side stays and forestay, extra pins, batteries, plugs, paddle, lights, flares, line, epoxy repair kit, pfds, radar beacon on each boat, vhf radios for close range, and a bigass battery in an old army ammo box to power the LORAN. We ran the antennae for the LORAN up the mast on one of the boats. You name it; we tried to have anything and everything we could think of to make the trip safer. Oh yeah, no life raft (We were stupid). We packed each boat with our provisions and filed our float plan with our parents. The only call they would get from us is when we got there (They weren’t happy!!).

The trip over took 9 hours. We started at 7:00 am and arrived at Alice Town around 5:00 pm. Winds were 10 to 15 kts the entire way over. We got lucky. We initially missed Bimini, because of the Gulf Stream and operator error with the LORAN. When we went to customs and got a cruising permit, it asked for our tonnage, we put 400 pounds. They had to see it to believe it.

During our stay there we sailed south to Gun Cay, Brown’s Cay, and North Cat Cay. Back then camping was not really “policed”. We camped at Gun Cay most of the time.

Our return trip took a little over 6 hours. We left after a front had come through and we had a 15 kt breeze on the way back. We were lucky. We had great weather the entire week, which is rare in the summer for Florida and the Bahamas.

Was it fun? YES. Sailing adventure of a lifetime. Would I do it again? NO, because 35+ years of sailing has taught me how much could have gone wrong and how lucky we were nothing did.

As Admiral Gary said, this is some bad water. Beautiful - but bad. A lot can happen out there. Times have changed. Yes technology is better, but the water is still the same; dangerous.

For those of you considering sailing your boat over from the Florida coast; your boat will become very small, very quickly out there in the open ocean. Take a plane, power boat, or cruise ship over; rent the boats from locals over there.

Formerly Young and at times Stupid

2013 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You know the guy who started this post, if you read it all, reports quite a bit of sailing experience. I may never have the guts to try something like this, but i wouldn't discourage others. It sounds like quite the adventure. If anyone else pulls this off be sure to document your trip and post back for the rest of us.