Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi! My name is Spencer and i live in TN. Anyways i have always admired sailing and the harnessing wind power. More and more lately i have been looking at catamarans and trying to research them enough to where i am comfortable with keeping a lookout for a "good-fair" deal. I have searched and searched and cant find anything on "suggested" depth usage on the hobie18. I want to use this at my parents lakehouse and there are a few sandbars that are 3-4 feet deep depending on normal water levels. I know where most of them are on this lake but if thats pushing it i might have to look at something without daggerboards. I am 230 atm but on a diet/workout plan with a goal of getting down to 190 before summer. Anyways looks like a great board for hobie!

Thanks
Spencer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:21 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

3-4 ft' is pretty much the maximum what the 18 draws. I wouldn't worry too much about the sandbars - as long as they're sandbars and not logs / rocks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Not to scare you or anything, but this is what happens when you hit a log or rock. (Go to the 3:50 mark if time is an issue)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaabrAfBs6E[/youtube]
Apparently, the boat was not as damaged as you might think.

I sail my H18 on lake with sandbars as well. There are a few spots where its around 4' and I get a little nervous, but have never had any issues <yet>.

cramsailing.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

MBounds wrote:
3-4 ft' is pretty much the maximum what the 18 draws. I wouldn't worry too much about the sandbars - as long as they're sandbars and not logs / rocks.

Thanks, i knew there had to a technical term for what i was looking for and thats why i wasnt finding my answer!! lol Only time we really have logs is when there has been a heavy heavy rain, "Usually" clear. Haha learned my lesson the hard way. I use to be big into Stand up jet skis. And after a big storm i went out the next day not thinking, invited a bunch of friends over. Well one chewed up prop and hours of frustration...

rehmbo wrote:
Not to scare you or anything, but this is what happens when you hit a log or rock. (Go to the 3:50 mark if time is an issue)

Apparently, the boat was not as damaged as you might think.

I sail my H18 on lake with sandbars as well. There are a few spots where its around 4' and I get a little nervous, but have never had any issues <yet>.

Thanks for that vid, for some reason that doesnt scare me at all. I grew up on the lake and so i guess most water things do not scary me but i know the inherent risk of water period. Altho i will admit the older i get the more i dont take "Dumb" risk (cliff jumping/rope swings, things like that)

Thanks for the post glad to see a H 18 should still work out for me.