Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is my first summer for a Hobie, I have a magnum, and it has gone over twice on me, both times it has turtled. It seems to turtle quickly. Both times I have had to wait for a power boat to come by and help us right the boat. Is it common for a Hobie 18 to Turtle so easily? When the Hobie goes over I don't seem to have enough time to get around and stand on the hull before the mast goes under. I could get a "BOB" for the mast but will it affect preformance? Is it an admission of a novice Hobie sailer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Using a Hobie Bob to keep your boat from turtling and your mast from getting damaged is just plain smart! The idea of mast flotation has been around for a long time; Hobie just dressed it up to look nice.
Don't fret about "how it will look". It'll help you get your boat back into the action a lot sooner than the other guys who are fighting with their turtled boats.
Besides, this is your first summer with your Hobie. You ARE a novice! Nothing wrong with that!
Fair Winds,
Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:20 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
I agree with Nick 100%. Yes, it may take away from some performance but not as much as a turtled boat does. Once you sail a bit more and start to get into racing you may want to consider removing it, I would only remove it if the race required me to. I wish more people would put Bobs on there boat it just makes sailing safer. We rescue countless number of people every summer that can't right there cat.

Thanks,
Brad Stephens
www.sunjammers.com
[email protected]
850-235-2281
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard Dealer
Panama City Beach, FL

Post subject: Mast Floats
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mast floats make it much less likely that a cat will turtle. I would have thought that they would be mandatory for races after one drowning, but people are slow to learn! They make it considerably easier to right a cat, and I think are great for any sailor. If you don't race, or don't care about trophies put one on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your replies. This season is almost over for me so next season I will put on a "BOB". It is too hard to get the mast down and up again to bother for now, maybe I should also get a system that helps me lower and raise the mast.

You are probably aware of this but a fellow at the local club told me that when the Hobie turtles I should stand on the rear of one of the hulls and the Hobie will corkscrew down and begin to right itself.

Post subject: Definitely put one on...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After tipping four years ago with my five year old and turtling, I went out and bought a Hobie "Bob" the next week. It has been an excellent investment and a must if you ever take kids out and don't want them to get caught under the tramp.

Besides, you'll never see it if you are paying attention to your sailing and flying a hull....

Sailing Ter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is all excellent advice....use the Bob until you are more proficient at righting your boat. However, I would also highly recommend sealing your mast. It concerns me that your boat is turtling so fast and you are unable to un-turtle it without the assist of a power boat. If feasible, take your mast down to a body of water and submerse it to see where there may be leaks. 3M makes a sealant specifically for marine use and is very easy to use. If the body of water isn't close, seal around all fixtures on the mast including all rivets. If your mast is filling with water, it truly will require a power boat to right.

At 200 lbs, I can solo right my 18 and my wife and I can right our very quickly......under two minutes. Actually, under 30 seconds once she gets off the top hull 8). While she is clambering down to the bottom hull, I get on the daggerboard to help prevent turtling.

While the Bob is an excellent choice, I would also seal the mast....that way you're set both ways!

Kip
H18
Boise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Use those wings to your advantage when the boat is turtled or to prevent it from becoming so. If turtled, stand on the edge of the wing and lean out, it should begin to bring that mast up to a point where you can advance onto the outermost edge of the daggerboard for the final righting push. Agree with the idea of checking for leaks as it sounds like you have a leaking point or someone is holding onto the boat "shoving" it under!

Best of luck,