Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hot stick repair
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was explained that:
"The outer comes off the pinned end. You will have to take off the outer sleeve (pinned and glued) and the grip on the other end, then it will come off. This will allow you to clean off the inner part, but the outer part may be more problematic."

I have had to cut off the outer sleeve and was wandering if replacement are available...or what could i add in its place... A thin layer of fiber and resin?

Also what is the outer sleeve´s funtion?? give the Hot Stick more strenght where the pin goes thru it.??

I was thinking of adding maybe some correct diameter pcv tube and gluing it on.

Any advice would be great
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I will try and answer this. The outer sleeve is the locking mechanism. If you look in it you will notice it ramps from the knotch. When the inner and outer knotches align the stick can extend and contract. When you twist away from the knotch the stick locks. My have stuck several times and all I did was run water in it and slowly work it back and forth while pulling on each end. Once fully extended its easy to clean. Usually some fine sanding on any rough spots helps. Keep an end on it to keep sand and grit out. Some dry lubricant on the inner will keep it buttery for a while. I wouldn't take it apart as I don't think parts are available.

Post subject: My trick
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What I do is fill the tub with water and put the end with the hole in the water. Then I pour some dish washing soap on the other end and start slowing moving it. I had it so bad one time it would not move at the beach. This got all the crap out and saved it. NOW I clean it everytime I use it. Makes a mess in the bathroom, so get some towels ready. This should do it. Just start real slow at first and use a lot of dish washing soap on the slide till it gets all the crap out.

Hope this helps.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

No guys you did´nt understand me ...In a dum attempt of fixing the soft grip to my hotstick with epoxi resin I managed to get tons of resin down the inside of the hotsick! dooooupppp blocking the hole setup!
I have taken the hot stick appart and managed to remove all the resin from the inside and now it will extend correctly...

Now i need to fix the end on again...I was going to put some resin on the alu part...push it in...and trill a small hole thru to pass a small nut and bolt...to do the "pin" function...

But what can I use to reinforce the fiber of the hot sick at this section? I no loger have the short piece of outer sleeve that came on the original to do this function as it was glued on and I had to cut it in 2 to get it off and take apart the hotstick.

Will it be strong enough without this part? it is a bit cracked at the end and I would like to reinforce it

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The small piece you cut away is just a stop. You can wrap some cloth wetted down with epoxy to make a new stop. Build it up to at least the diameter of the outer part of the Hotstick. Use a roll pin and not a nut and bolt to secure the connector.
Oh and be sure you do this with the outer portion already on.
Sorry if that was to obvious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you don't want to bother with cloth and epoxy you can always use a small piece of pipe for the stop. Just rough up the inside of the pipe with some sandpaper or emory cloth, epoxy in place, drill your hole for the pin, and insert the roll pin.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO