Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hobie sailing injurys
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Knowing that you dont get hurt every time you go out. I would like to hear stories and see photos of injurys, and boat damage. I'm just curious so i know what i am getting myself into! Thanks Timmy

Last edited by hobie12.7cat on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

oh, you mean like the time I was nearly obliterated by lightning?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

wow and ya and incidents i would have soiled my swim suite :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why don't you start a thread with the actual subject title that you want discussed?

This has been discussed a few times before, but I'm not sure what to tell you to search for...

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:38 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

hobie12.7cat wrote:
wow and ya and incidents i would have soiled my swim suite :shock:

I'm not normally this harsh, especially to newbies, and especially kids, but . . .

<rant on>
This forum isn't texting. I know you're a kid, but you have yet to make a post that doesn't have spelling, punctuation and/or capitalization errors. It's just painful to read. And yeah, I'm an old man. Get off of my lawn!

If you have a specific question, start a thread and post the question in the title. "new topic idea please post!" sounds like spam.

Put your location in your profile. That helps us connect you with people in your area for help. There's nothing like one-on-one help, especially if you're just getting started.

Learn how to post photos - there's a FAQ for that.

Use the search feature. We're helpful, but we sometimes get tired of answering the same questions over and over.

We try to portray Hobie sailing in a relatively positive manner. "Crash, burn and bruise" photos tend to scare away new people who think that it happens every time you go out (it doesn't).
<rant off>

I don't want to curb your enthusiasm, but a little common sense goes a long way on this board.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
This forum isn't texting. I know you're a kid, but you have yet to make a post that doesn't have spelling, punctuation and/or capitalization errors. It's just painful to read.

+1

hobie12.7cat, your posts are incredibly hard to read due to total lack of capitalization and punctuation. The "text message" style of writing certainly makes me much less inclined to read or respond to your questions....just sayin'.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

understood Ill change title, also your right, it sounds a little spamish and lll work on the punctuation point of it too!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:30 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

hobie12.7cat wrote:
understood Ill change title, also your right, it sounds a little spamish and lll work on the punctuation point of it too!

That's at least 10 errors in one run-on sentence. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And while you are at it, hobie12.7cat, tuck in your shirt, brush your teeth and what is it with that hair. :o Be assured, not all of us old fart sailors (I'm 58) are as judgmental as others. :wink: :lol: (gee I hope I passed the Hobie grammer test) :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One time, the boom hit me on the head so hard... that I could barely punctuate for a week afterwards! :P

Actually, I would like to hear OlderBowman's lightning story.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

Last edited by IndyWave on Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

come on guys throw me a bone here. By the way i didnt try on the run on sentence, look at the 1st post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

hobie12.7cat wrote:
come on guys throw me a bone here.

You've got a bone from me, but MBounds has a point. We love to have you in the Hobie community. We need more young people to join in.

Hey MBounds, how about sending a pm next time you have a constructive feedback (harsh putdown criticisms). Posting such a negativity don't help with Hobie spirit.

Now -- everyone be nice.

:)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'll actually answer his question to hopefully get the conversation headed in the intended direction.

My only injury was last summer out on the Banana River near Cocoa Beach. The wind was blowing 15-20 kts almost directly onshore. I had invited one of my friends that had never sailed before to come out sailing on my new H16. We got everything set and had a plan for how we were going to get out away from the bridge that was fairly close by.

We pushed off and I immediately knew something was wrong. I had no turning ability AT ALL. Long story short, the two of us scrambled around on the tramp for about 10 minutes trying to get the boat to head ashore but we were stuck. WE FORGOT OUR DRAIN PLUGS! In the midst of the chaos, my foot got caught in the main traveler and gave me this:

Lots of blood and I felt hardcore.

Eventually, George (Ringo on here) and Matt (Falcon Marine) sailed out to help us drag the boat back to shore. Here is a picture of the boat draining all of the water out of the hulls:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well now that the etiquette and punctuation supervisors have made their point, I'll tell my lightning story:

years ago, there used to be an 'Around-the-Island' race of Long Beach Island in NJ. Normally held in August of each year. The start was on the mainland opposite Barnegat Inlet. The course took us across the bay, out the inlet, down the entire 16 mile length in the ocean, back in through Holgate Inlet and then up the bay, back to the start in Waretown. Total distance is about 40 or so miles.
As has happened more years than I want to remember, the wind was light, which means a very long day for the race. Getting out Barnegat inlet was a feat in itself. Picture sailing in a washing machine while dodging 40' cabin cruisers, in 3 knots of wind.
After a very long day down the ocean side and up the bay side, we called the race in Brant Beach at 9:00pm. Still a good 10 miles from finishing. I spent the night at a friends house intending to sail the boat back to Waretown in the morning.
The next morning was a typical New Jersey summer morning. Hot, hazy with a strong squall line predicted for mid-afternoon. I was dropped off at the boat, got her rigged and took outby myself as my crew could not stay the extra day. Fortunately the wind was decent, about 7 knots, and with the lighter weight I made good time.
As I rounded the sedge islands at Harvery Cedars and turned west, the western sky was black. The squall line was 2-3 hours early!!! With the wind building I made a straight reach for the western beach about 1½ miles away, heading right into the squall. As I progressed the wind built to 15 knots and the lightning started, striking all around me. I had to sail conservatively as I didn't want to flip the boat, I had to get ashore. Approaching the beach from a 1/2 mile out I syped a sandy area and headed for it. Crashes of thunder and lightning strikes all around me. Screaming "God please help me" several times I raced into shore, only to find the sandy spot was only 20' wide. I managed to spin her head to wind at the water's edge, jumped off and proceeded to pull the boat over on her side, there was no time to drop the sails. It was frightening to handle the mast in all that lightning. People at a nearby house called for me to come in and stay on their screen porch, which I did. It was then the worst of the squall hit. It caused the horizontal mainsail to bend over a complete 180°. I fully expected the battens to snap and rip through each pocket at any moment, but suprisingly didn't.
After it was all over, the sky cleared to a beautiful sunny and breezy day. I righted the boat, pulled down the main and was able to sail north back to Waretown under jib alone in a fresh westerly. My friends at Fleet 452 at Smitty's had seen the entire espisode from afar and were amazed and thankful I didn't wind up as barbeque. Once ashore I gave thanks for surviving and had a stiff drink.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

San Francisco Bay got my harness hooked on the shroud as I went to trap out. Got stuck to the shroud and promptly flipped the boat. My wife flew into the mast and did her best to dent it. (Mast was fine.) Went full turtle with me still hooked to the shroud. Knife in hand ready to cut the tramp for a breathing pocket and I came unhooked. Wife had a deep bone bruise on her upper shin and couldn't walk for weeks.

Seperate incident a friend was de-rigging and as he went to drop his H-18 mast the hinge broke. it rotated to the side and landed sail track perfectly on top of my head. Large gash down my head and a good concusion.

Pitchpoled the Tiger and in the splashdown the crew and I hit in the same place. I seperated the cartlidge from my rib cage on the right side. That was painfull and lasted a long time.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/