Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:

We try to portray Hobie sailing in a relatively positive manner. "Crash, burn and bruise" photos tend to scare away new people who think that it happens every time you go out (it doesn't).
<rant off>

Are you sure about this? I could be wrong.. Well.. At least that is what my wife tells me.. :lol:

I think if you are trying to sell to a young adventurous crowd maybe the possibility of some good minor injuries add to the adventure and excitement?

heck.. One of the best bruises I have had in my life (and I played rugby for years) came from the shroud on a H18.. We were trapped out up to high because the water was very rough.. and for whatever reason we were trying to see how high we could fly... Lets just say trapped out up high put my tipping point earlier than the boats tipping point and somehow my arm became pinched b/t the crew and the shroud. He ended up crashing into the mast, bleeding, and my arm was pulled down the shroud.. Leaving an awesome bruise.. Somehow the boat stayed upright..

Gawd.. That was SSSSOOOOO much fun....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt B, can you give us a link please to your H17 'adventure' in the H17's Nationals in SF Bay?

Can anyone find the link to the 'On the Wire' feature about H17 sailing/crashing?
That was another good report.

My experiences?...How about setting sail with the beach wheels still attached? How about the time the tie-down line from the beach wheels got caught on a shroud ring-ding without us noticing, and on the first tack, the mast came down?

Want to know about down-drafts from localized storm cells, which can take the wind from 5 knots to 30 in about 20 seconds? Yup, lots of swimming, complete with bruises, thumps and bumps.

The main thing is to be safe, have fun and enjoy.

later

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MAIN REASON I BOUGHT MY FIRST HOBIE IN 1971 I WAS ON MY WAY TO BUY A TRIUMPH 750 MOTORCYCLE AND ON THE WAY I CAME UPON A MOTORCYCLE WRECK AND A HORRIBLE WRECK AT THAT
GAVE IT SOME THOUGHT AND DECIDED TO GET A HOBIE CAT INSTEAD ALWAYS FUN NOT ALWAYS WITHOUT SOME CUTS AND BRUISES HOWEVER NO BODY BONES EVER BROKEN AND NO FLESH SEWN UP
I WOULD SAY THE HOBIE WAY OF LIFE IS VERY SAFE FRIEND AND FAMILY FRIENDLY
SOME OF MY BEST TIMES EVER HAVE BEEN ON A HOBIE AND I THINK THAT SPEAKS FOR MANY WHO WRITE IN THIS FORUM :lol: :lol:
I USED TO BE AN ADMIRAL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The boomless sail makes the Getaway a good choice.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The shrouds will get you. While flying a hull untrapped, I told my crew to fall forward of the wires and into the jib if we flipped. She went onto the wires, and cut her inner arm, inner thigh, and almost ruined her woman's part. She was bleeding about 1inch away in a very interesting 3 inch long gash. 2nd flip of the day she had learned and ended up high and dry on the upside pontoon.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

hundreds of bruises and hematomas, but one stands out:

Mid-eighties: I was young, stupid (I'm a lot older today...) and crew on my buddie's Hobie 16. Both of us were a tad above ideal weight, so we only flew a hull or trapped out in "fresh to frightening" conditions. With 400+ lbs of crew-weight and 5 to 6 bft you are flirting with disaster on a Hobie 16.

The leeward nose got stuck and we went for a tour in the big whirligig. It happened all the time, so I was guite good at hammering down on the trapeze-hook at the right moment - sometimes I flew five or more meters forward before diving into the water - but not on this day. I was stuck on the hook, flew around the forestay and crashed my bum into the leeward front pylon, perfectly hitting the angle of that cast part. The lights went out, the lights went back on, and I couldn't sit or stand anymore.

My buddy drove me to the local hospital where they kept me but couldn't x-ray my pelvis because the hematoma was already too big and my bum and pelvis were way too swollen. The X-rays were non-conclusive, no way to tell a fracture or not.

In the end it wasn't a fracture, just a way huge black blob and I couldn't sit, walk, lie-down or stand for a few weeks (unable to drive a car for about two months). My buddy had sold his HC16 by the time I was back on my feet, we scratched a few bucks together and got us a Hobie 18 Magnum. I have never been on a Hobie 16 since that day, but I am still out there in fresh to frightening conditions, flying a leg on Hobie 18s ...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I haven't been hurt sailing but got a nasty injury putting the boat away. I wheel my trailer into the garage and have done it many times, usually in flip-flops or water shoes. One mistake and the trailer cut badly into my heel. That was in May and I still can't walk like I used to. Things I learned were push the trailer, don't pull it. Remove sharp edges from all parts of the trailer. Wear work boots.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

1 minute in :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Worst that ever happened to me was pitch-poling in 6' of water. The mast speared the muddy bottom of the lake and the boat stopped real fast. I slid into the mast and boom, and ended up with a few bruises.

84 yellow hulls hobie 16 Yellow Nationals
plus a few extras that I'm restoring