Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone know of a simple GPS with an option for a wireless Anemometer to measure wind speed and direction? It should have an Anemometer that can be placed at the top of the mast.

I could just go with a separate simple wireless Anemometer too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I doubt that is available anywhere, but you just gave me an idea for my senior electrical engineering design project! I could build something like what you're talking about and output it to an iphone app. It could measure apparent wind and then with that and the gps velocity, calculate wind velocity. With that, you could also calculate headers and lifts.

Sorry for hijacking your thread. Maybe there is something available out there? I know of the velocitek speed puck but that doesn't have an anemometer.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:08 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

PurdueZach wrote:
I doubt that is available anywhere, but you just gave me an idea for my senior electrical engineering design project! I could build something like what you're talking about and output it to an iphone app. It could measure apparent wind and then with that and the gps velocity, calculate wind velocity. With that, you could also calculate headers and lifts.

Sorry for hijacking your thread. Maybe there is something available out there? I know of the velocitek speed puck but that doesn't have an anemometer.

Don't forget to include damping / averaging to account for pitching and other movements of the mast tip.

There is a standard communications protocol for marine instrument data, but it may not cover wireless transmissions (NEMA). For use on the boat, Bluetooth is probably better than WiFi since it takes less power, but I don't know if the range is sufficient.

To answer the OP's question though - there are such items, but they are meant for much bigger boats and come with a very hefty price tag.

http://www.apsltd.com/c-4207-tacktick-m ... eries.aspx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That would be a great tool, I sailed a Lagoon 44 which had true, apparent, and wind speed all in one instrument. I would buy that if I could for my Hobie.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Zack, that is a great idea! Throw in a race start timer and we would be all set.