Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Boat
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all. I am going to buy a NEW boat for the 07 season. I currently have a H16 (sail no 62590), which is a great boat. No damage or soft spots, but needs upgrades. I do not want to put any more money into an older boat. So its time to upgrade. COOL. I really like the H16 and am thinking about a new 16. I sail on Lake Coeur d'Alene, ID, when the wind is up, but also when the sun is out and not much wind as that is what the wife likes most. I have no experience with other Hobie models. The local dealer mentions the Getaway but with my experience with the 16 I think I would be disapointed. I do sail frequently with a friend who has a Super Cat 20 and its fun but much more complicated to setup and take down which makes me a bit leary of the bigger Hobies. Please give me your thoughts as this is going to be my first new boat and I want to get it right. Thanks so much.

Post subject: Vote: Getaway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

So the dealer is steering you towards a boat that cost less? That would tell me something.
If your not going to race, I think you'd get more out of the Getaway. Easier to set up, carries more passengers without submersion, and your friends will be more comfortable trying it on their own.
I bought a Wave for my son, and now we get invited to all the good camping trips.(As long as we bring the boat)
My wife likes to sail it, and I don't stress about the beach. And since she now enjoys sailing, I get to do it more often without conflict. Get the Getaway, and if doesn't work out you can always sell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You'll love the Getaway. It is bigger and heavier than the 16, but simpler to set up (no boom for one thing). While not quite as fast as the 16, it is a very fast boat, with plenty of buoyancy. You'll enjoy sailing it by yourself, as well as taking family and friends for gentle evening cruise; when was the last time you had 5 or 6 people comfortably enjoying their time on your 16, a glass of wine in hand!

Go for it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the replies! I have recently met a guy who has just taken delivery of a new Getaway and will try to get a ride.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll just join in. Get the Getaway. It may not be as fast as a 16, but if you know how to sail, it's plenty fast. And after speed, there is no comparison. The Getaway does everything better and easier than the 16. Easier to set up, easier to sail, easier to maintain and more fun for more people.

And if you don't like it - sell it. You'll get most of your money back. Try that with a 16.