Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I´m thinking on upgrading the 81 stock main sheet blocks on my h18 would these be the correct? is 57mm the wright size?

Harken 57mm Triple Carbo Block w/Becket HAR-2605
Harken 57mm Triple Carbo Block w/Cam Cleat HAR-2617

Both are listed on ebay

The actual setup has 3 separate blocks on the boom, is it better to have single triple block on the boom or 3 single ones???

What are the best blocks for this setup?? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is the long answer, now bare in mind, I have a h16 not an h18 not sure if that matters much.

Matt will probably strongly dissagree with the carbo, but as I mention, they are not that hard to adjust.

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/showfla ... &fpart=all

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I run a 8:1 harken carbo hanging from the middle bail. Same as the Fox or Tiger. It has bent the bail a little from the angle of purchase. Can get the blocks to almost touch, much easier than the triple/single original. Saw some used on thebeachcats.com couple of weeks ago. Those are not cheap but worth it as compared to the seaway originals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

57 mm will work fine, 2 1/2" or 3" also.

All newer boats have triple upper blocks.

Which is best is subject to personal preference (I like the rachetmatic lower, had the carbo rachetmatic on our 18 and didn't like as well).

Add a single 40mm (1 1/2") standup block above the cam cleat on your lower and you'll have 7:1 :D the more the merrier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Actually, if you get beckets on both upper and lower you can get 6,7,8(with pully):1

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm with Matt on the lower Carbo Air blocks - too much trouble to adjust. I had to remove mine from the traveller car to adjust the cam angle, and prayed the little nut holding it together didn't drop in the sand. But if you're a set-it-and-forget-it sailor then go ahead and get them, since they'll be an improvement over the old ones. You might also want to replace the main sheet with the new blocks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Skipshot wrote:
I'm with Matt on the lower Carbo Air blocks - too much trouble to adjust. I had to remove mine from the traveller car to adjust the cam angle, and prayed the little nut holding it together didn't drop in the sand. But if you're a set-it-and-forget-it sailor then go ahead and get them, since they'll be an improvement over the old ones. You might also want to replace the main sheet with the new blocks.

Yes you should disconnect them from the car, however that was not that big of a deal, I use a quick release there. Also took the nut all the way off and set it on the tramp. This allows you to work better with the bolt side out a bit, set the bolt side, than place the nut side cap back inplace install the nut and tighten.

as for as the sheet goes, yes do replace it. I don't know about other brands and makes because this is my first "real" new sheet, but I am very happy with the sheet I got.

Sam