Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

http://www.wiscnews.com/baraboonewsrepu ... 069f3.html

Above is a link for the Baraboo News Republic, here in Wisconsin. I've only had my Wave for a few weeks, but found myself on the front page this morning.

Just thought I'd share...

It's been so long since I sailed my 16 Tequila Sunrise... but now I'm on my own, and the Wave has been a perfect fit, although I'm still going mostly without the Jib.

Tomorrow, night sail! No motors allowed on this lake, and it's full moon, light winds predicted.

It is SO GOOD to be back on a Hobie!

NetraLee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

nice job

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Congrats. That was a beautiful shot too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ya it is fun to find yourself sailing in the media, internet, or even a visitors guide. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice. The only time catamarans make the headlines around here the Coast Guard is usually involved. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How is the sailing in Devil's Lake? I've been meaning to get out there and do some hiking and rock climbing. I used to sail in Winnebago, now I sail in Butte des Morts.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yesterday the sailing there was magnificent! Good, steady breeze and some nice gusts to keep me on my toes!

Devil's Lake can be the bestest place, provided the wind is right. If it's out of the West or -worse still - the East, it just flows in and spins around like a funnel, due to the bluffs.

But if that wind is S, SW, or even WSW, it cannot be beat.

Not a very big place, but very nice, because there's no power equipment allowed.

I like it because I can keep my BittyKitty there, ready to go very quickly. As a solo, that's important to me.

If you have other WI suggestions, I'd sure appreciate them. Husband says Shawano Lake, but am concerned about all the power boats/toys.

NetraLee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't transport my boat at all... I solo a lot of the time too.. so I have a ramp spot where it sits all summer just waiting to be sailed! Plenty of power boats for me to try to run over in the bigger lakes that I sail in. I haven't had much of an issue.. if they can't see my 25' yellow/white/rainbow sails.. we've got issues!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It's more the younger set on the jet skis that really concern me. I've watched them from the docks for years... yikes!

Other than that... it just feels so good to be sailing again after such a long absence. I am so glad I chose the Wave despite all previous experience being on a 16 (which truly can't be beat!). Now I can go myself, go quickly - it's SO easy! and right it on my own - mostly! And w/o a Jib!

NetraLee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I know it was not your intent to stereotype. I just believe in giving credit where credit is due. So I share my bay with a very regular bunch of smaller motor boats, jet skis, kayakers and 'wind surfers turned kite boarders'. After hitting the ocean, add lobster fishing boats and larger motor craft. I may just be lucky but I must say that as both a sea kayaker and now a sailor in area, the locals with engines are extremely cautious and considerate to the "floaters." and the wind powered folks. We also get lots of tourists and occasionally you do get real idiot who acts like they bought the boat yesterday but for the most part, even the seadoers are pretty considerate. Lucky I guess.

FYI, "floaters" is a term that seems to have become popular around here among the motor boat people for kayakers and canoes ever since the popularity of the show Walking Dead..... Zombies are called "walkers", for those who don't watch. Oddly enough, I think my wife actually coined the term while we were out on a lobster boat watching some fireworks for Canada Day. All the teens on board started laughing and now I hear it everywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NetraLee :
When I was younger we would try to go to Devils lake every other weekend in the summer, it's one of my favorite places in the world. In those days it was crystal clear and a great place to scuba dive (It's very deep). I had a sunfish back then but never thought to take it up there because it's in a canyon and pretty small, plus I didn't think sailboats were allowed. we usually sailed on lake Mendota, Lake Wisconsin, or lake Geneva. We now live in south Florida and only sail in the Ocean (Gators in all fresh water down here). My wife and I were thinking of going back up to Wisconsin for a week or so (all my adult children still live there) before summer is over. Now you got me thinking, I will throw my Tandem Island on the roof. Nice pic.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've only had one near run-in with a jet skier... I was flying a hull on Lake Winnebago a few years back and he was buzzing around me.. I'm sure he was just interested in what I was doing, but he was annoying me... so I just went straight at him for awhile, he got the point and moved away.

On Lake Butte des Morts, there are generally power boats, jet skiiers, and plenty of pontoon boats, but they are all pretty good at giving me ample space.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

PLEASE ACCEPT MY ABSOLUTE, HUMBLE AND SINCERE APOLOGY.

I in no way mean to stereotype or lump everyone as being inconsiderate with their jet skis. I realized it as soon as I saw what/how I posted.

Devil's Lake has a LOT of tourists who rent the canoes and kayaks, swim w/o any "float" across the lake (they often are hard to see!), lots of non-motorized hazards that I am sure are faced by many.

The people I'm referring to - the scary ones - are ones I've watched from shore at another small lake, Dutch Hollow. I've seen them buzz around the fishermen, not respect the "no wake" zones, cut off canoes, etc., and even hit each other, because they just are not paying attention.

I absolutely agree that the majority of folks on the water read and respect the rules as well as other people.

Right now, I'm trying to reacquaint myself with sailing, and I am aware of who else is in the area. I'm afraid of those with "power" who have been drinking, or are reckless or purposely try to drive wild, because they are so much faster and move "into play" quicker than I can spot them.

Again, my apologies.

I'm going over to the "places to sail" forum to ask about other local lakes - please check in if you have any thoughts!

Thanks.

NetraLee
& the BittyKittyImage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

No need to apologize if you are referring to my post. I did say that "I know it was not your intent to stereotype.".

I agree with you. Some people have no sense and no responsibility. I was merely taking an opportunity to give a positive spin to the folks who deserve it in my area, not that any of them are likely to read it. Although I have spotted a Wave in my bay this summer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bill Mattson wrote a funny article in On the Wire entitled:

The Ultimate PWC Repellent
Advanced Tactical Weaponry for the catamaran sailor

http://www.thebeachcats.com/OnTheWire/westnet/_lpm/hobie/archives/v1-i2/humor.html

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL