Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to Make Stuff
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm looking for info/topic on how to make a couple of things rather than purchase them retail.

Specifically, a sailbox to store my sails safely over the winter. I've seen the 18" PVC suggested, but am looking for other ideas, too, as well as instructions. This one would have to be able to be mounted AND removed from the trailer.

Also, Cat Trax. They cannot be too difficult to make, can they?

Also, I've seen conflicting thoughts about how to store/wrap a sail. Some say to roll it (Wave sail, no boom), others say fold loosely to avoid batten warping. But when "folded", the Luff line gets all hinky.

If there is a specific spot for these types of queries and solutions, please advise.

Oh! Just as a fun thing... wondering if people name their craft - how many are male, female, etc. And maybe the vehicle that pulls it? Personally, I think my Rupert pulling the Bitty Kitty would be hysterical - Rupert's an '09 Mini JCW Clubman and Kitty is a Wave... just a thought for something to gaze at over the long winter months.

Thanks!

NetraLee

Post subject: Re: How to Make Stuff
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The search function is your friend.

Post subject: Re: How to Make Stuff
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I already have a fiberglass coffin-style sailbox on my trailer but it would be very easy to build one using plywood and then rolling on a waterproof barrier with something like Monstaliner http://www.monstaliner.com/

Recommend using the "Search" function to find discussions on homemade beach wheels. It's a common topic.

Regarding Boat Names, how about Usain Boat (Haha I'm envisioning hull decals of his famous pose).....