Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently bought a hobie cat 14 and dont have a trailer or a hitch on my car.could i be able to put it on top of my car or at least half of it.my car is a 1999 nissan altima

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think you could win America's Funniest Videos. How would you open the doors and what would you do with the mast?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:07 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

I'll just leave this here:

And, yeah, that's me when I had hair. And my Mom's '71 Olds Delta 88.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:
And, yeah, that's me when I had hair. And my Mom's '71 Olds Delta 88.

8) Awesomeness!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd still like to see that on an Altima...about half the size of a '71 Olds. You probably had nice hefty bumpers to tie everything down. Something else you won't find on an Altima. Whatever happened to Strohs anyway? It was big here in the '80s and then just disappeared.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:04 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Yeah, the Olds had things like rain gutters (for the racks) and big chrome bumpers to tie stuff to that an Altima (or almost any car today) doesn't have.

The trick to carrying the 16 on the roof was having racks that supported the weight across the whole roof, not just at the gutters. I made contoured supports from 2x4s that fit between each rack and the roof to do that.

I also minimized disassembly. Tramp was just loosened enough to disengage the rear x-bar from the sidebars, then it was removed from the rear lacing, leaving the lacings in place. The sidebars were slid back just enough to disengage from the front x-bar, then folded like a pair of eyeglasses and the tramp rolled up around everything.

Sails, tramp package and rear x-bar went in the middle on top; rudders went in the trunk.

It was . . . exciting to drive. Never once got pulled over though. Helps when the car underneath it weighs 2 1/2 tons.

It went to a bunch of regattas in the Chesapeake Bay and North Carolina like that in the summers of '76 through '78. Record time for putting it together was just under 30 minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Backing up with a 26 foot mast must have been a challenge. Silly question but...why didn't you just get a trailer? Same question to original poster here. E-trailer sells two or three different Class-1 hitches for Altimas. U-Haul will install a hitch on almost anything.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:14 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

sunvista wrote:
Silly question but...why didn't you just get a trailer?
I was only 16 years old and had just gotten my driver's license. Dad said "NO" to a trailer hitch. No trailer hitch = no trailer.

We also kept the boat on a beach at our Chesapeake Bay cottage. There was no way to get it off the beach other than to take it apart and carry it up the steps in pieces.

When I got my own car (at the age of 18), I had a trailer hitch and a trailer within a month. Hauling the boat around on top of the car is brain damage.